1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Pronunciation of "Are" and "Aren't" in British English

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Fericire, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Fericire

Fericire Senior Member

South America
    Portuguese (Brazil)
    Hello to everyone.

Could you please tell me the pronunciation of the words "are" and "aren't" in Britain?
    I guess the correct pronunciation of "are" is "Ah"; and there are people on Forvo that pronounce "aren't" as if it were "a rent" - is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Personally I pronounce them 'Ah' and 'Ahnt' :)

3. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    You will find both rhotic and non rhotic pronunciations in different parts of Britain. That link will be helpful for you!

4. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    British English is a written standard, it is not a pronounciation. As someone who speaks with a light Glaswegian accent, I would pronounce them 'ur', and 'urunt' (the second u is more of a schwa).

5. Thelb4 Senior Member

UK English
    I pronounce "are" like I would when saying "ah" or when saying the name of the letter r.
    I pronounce "aren't" exactly the same as "aunt".

6. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    I would never, ever, pronounce aren't as a rent. I would find this extremely weird too. :)

7. mplsray Senior Member

The one pronunciation I found on Forvo which came at all close to "a rent" was a rhotic female from Ireland who pronounced "aren't" as ARRunt, or, in the International Phonetic Alphabet, /'ɑrənt/. Actually, I think it would be closer to the pronunciation given if I could write that without the schwa and with a syllabic n--which is an n with a dot under it in IPA.

This is, however, still rather far from any pronunciation of "a rent" with which I am familiar.

8. Fericire

Fericire Senior Member

South America
    Portuguese (Brazil)
    Thank you all for the information! :)
    Could you please also tell me how do you pronounce "are" in the locution "how are you"?

9. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    The same as you would pronounce it normally.

10. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Given that "are" in "How are you?" bears no stress, I would pronounce it as a schwa. I think most English speakers would....

The main difference between rhotic and non-rhotic speakers of English is that, for rhotic speakers, the schwa would be followed by a /r/.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012