Pronunciation of classical Latin

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Scholiast, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Scholiasta conlegis amicis moderatoribus s.p.d.

Like many of you, I imagine, I am often asked by students and others how we know what Latin sounded like. Of course I know at least some of the answers, but I was wondering whether (a) there is any more up-to-date book-length treatment than W. Sidney Allen's Vox Latina; and (b) there is anything in a previous thread here that I have missed.

2. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    If you search "latin Phonology" in google books you will find several books.For examnple
    http://books.google.es/books?id=HgQ...D0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=latin phonology&f=false

specially chapter 6

In Spanish i read long ago some chapters of Fonologia Latina from Mariano Bassols de Climent. It's is quite comprehensive work.

Vt ualeas

<< The link above refers us to: A Companion to the Latin Language editado por James Clackson
    (Because of copyright laws, Google Books allows texts to be read in some countries but not others. This text is not visible in the US.)>>

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  3. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to enjoy reading it. I'm in the US and I can see the entire work if I click on the google.es link above and then replace es with com in the URL.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Nice trick. :thumbsup:

Thank you, exgerman. :)

5. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

English
    This book looks promising and seems very comprehensive on various grammatical problems as well. I was thinking about getting it but then I had a look at the price tag..... well, one could always get the kindle edition for € 95.- :(

6. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings from me too.

Thanks indeed to relativamente for these useful suggestions.

ut ualeatis omnes.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012