1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pronunciation - r (regalo, repetir)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by kirakuni8, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kirakuni8 Senior Member

English - North American
    ¡Hola!

I was wondering if in European Spanish, the R sound at the beginning of words uses only a single tap of the tongue (like in the word peRo), or is it rolled (like in the word peRRo) ?

Here are some examples:
    Gracias por el regalo.
    ¿Podría repetirlo, por favor?

Thanking you in advance,
    Kirakuni8

2. PAUL B.T.

PAUL B.T. Senior Member

ESPAÑA
    Spanish
    When the R is the first letter in a word, it sounds like the "perro" thing.E.G.- Rueda, rueca, ruleta, rollo, etc.When it goes between two other letters, it's just a single tap, like in "perico" or "parada" unless you see two R's together, in which case it's rolled, like "parrilla" or "churrasco" Hmmmm...churrasssscooooo...[Homer_Simpson_mode=ON]:D

3. kirakuni8 Senior Member

English - North American
    Thank you so much ! How weird would it sound if someone pronounced regalo or repetir with one tap (like in the word "pero") ?

4. PAUL B.T.

PAUL B.T. Senior Member

ESPAÑA
    Spanish
    It would sound kind of "guiri" indeed.:D
    Weird, but understandable within the necessary context, I mean.

5. _SantiWR_ Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    You would sound like Apu from The Simpsons (European Spanish dubbing).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. m5saenz Senior Member

Michigan, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    If you aren't blessed with the natural ability to roll your Rs, saying "butter" repeatedly and quickly is great practice. Although you aren't rolling an R while doing this, your muscles are getting used to the movement needed to say words like repaso or respira with the correct articulation:)

7. Dan2

Dan2 Senior Member

US
    US English
    Another question for native speakers of Spanish:

If I said (I wouldn't, but if I did... :) ) "peRo" with "R" being the (American) English "r" of "Mary", would you hear it...
    - more as "pero"?
    - more as "perro"?
    - as so wrong that it's impossible to say?

Just curious - thanks!

8. mirx Senior Member

Español
    As perro

9. jose-carlos Senior Member

Sevilla
    Spain - Spanish
    This is the general rule and also you pronounce "RR" after "s"-"n"-"l" - (all these 'r' sound 'RR') israelí, enredar, alrededor.

10. Wisconsinite Senior Member

English United States
    When I read this, I took it as an insult. I thought SantiWR was saying to kirakuni8 that she/he sounds like Apu.

Now I see it says YOU'LL sound like Apu. Since it's the grammar forum, and this actually tripped me up at first, I wanted to mention that it should have said YOU'D.

Since the original question was "How weird WOULD it sound," the verb tense should correspond: "You WOULD sound like you have an accent. Which would not be that weird, considering you are a non-native speaker." :)

11. Istriano

Istriano Senior Member

-
    I've also heard [r] (rr) for any syllable final R: amor, hacer, cierto
    At least one of the most famous Argentinians (Susana Giménez) speaks like that. ;)
    This pronunciation makes sense paniberically, since in many variants of Brazilin Portuguese every syllable-final r is ''strong'' (just like in the case of the word initial or double R's, or R after S [Israel] or N [enredo]).

12. _SantiWR_ Senior Member

Spanish - Spain

Sorry, I've already put it right. I just made that reference because it's something you can easily check on youtube. On another matter I think it would actually be a bit weird, since that's not the usual accent of an English native speaker speaking Spanish.

13. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    a) the sound rr (thrilled r) is also used in emphatic speech, verb finally.
    b) when I hear a 'yankee' saying "pero" with a rhoticized r, I'd have to decide by listening to the context.