Pronunciation: Wednesday

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kookland, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Kookland Member

Scotland, English
    I tend to pronounce it "Weddensday" which is not uncommon here in Scotland. Does anyone else pronounce the "d" in "Wednesday"?
  2. ash93

ash93 Senior Member

England, United Kingdom - English but can speak Urdu, Memon and Hindi
    personally I always pronounce it "wenesday" although it is not uncommon to pronounce it " weddensday, wed-nesday, wensday or wenesday" hope thats helpful to you
  3. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "WENZ-day" when it stands alone, and often "WENZ-dy" in phrases like "Wednesday night." Hell, I probably pronounce it the second way 90% of the time.
  4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    100% agree with FFB. I hate the fact it is spelt the way it is, it isn't said like that!
  5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I learned to pronounce it with a silent "d", and that's what I hear most of the time, but of course I'm not a native speaker.
    It's interesting to know that there are varieties of English where the "d" is still pronounced! :)
  6. Gordonedi

Gordonedi Senior Member

UK (Scotland) English
    Me too, but I'm also in Scotland !
  7. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Yes - I was unaware that anyone pronounced the "d" too. Comes from "Woden's day" as you are probably aware.
  8. maxiogee Banned

I never did understand why the word is consistently and universally misspelt We don't spell Thursday as "Thrusday", or Saturday as "Satruday", so why do we misspell Wedensday as "Wednesday" :D
  9. dwipper Senior Member

Iowa, U.S.
    U.S. English
    Personally, I'm a /ˌwɛnzˈdeɪ/ person. But I found an interesting note in Oxford--it's from the Old English wōdnesdæg, but more importantly is related to woensdag in Dutch. It seems that the Dutch pronunciation may have found its way into common English usage.
  10. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I personally pronounce the tail end of all the days as a Latin 'i' and not 'ei' as you do dwipper; e.g. mundi, tiusdi, uensdi, thusdi, friedi, satadi, sundi, which I think is probably how most people do it.
  11. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Not round where I come from (Southern England) - I remember we used to have a teacher that pronounced it like that and reading out timetables saying "group A mundi wenzdi frydi" etc he used to have kids taking the mickey out of him behind his back. In fact, I always thought such a pronunciation was just him until it became clear from these forums that others pronounce it that way too - since then in terms of southern English I wonder if it is a generational difference.
  12. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    That's the way I learnt in SE/BE, albeit rather long before you were born, timpeac.
  13. eleve

eleve Senior Member

I would like to share a point that the modern spellings are derived from their ancient forms after a lot of phonological changes. According to the phonological phenomenon called "syncope", we are bound to spell it as wenz-di. Please find more about these under the concepts of metaplasm. I hope this information proves useful to evryone.
  14. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    I love the fact that it's spelt the way it is. It's heritage.:)

I always pronounce it WENZ-day, though...never the -di variant.
  15. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    Usually [WENZ-DAY]. Rarely I will say, [WED-INZ-DAY], but the D is every so slight.
  16. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    I'm from the south-east of England, b. 1949, and have always pronounced "day" as "day", whether alone or as part of Monday, Tuesday etc., but my father (b. 1913) used to say Wenzdi, not Wenzday.

PS This is probably part of an older British tendency to compress vowels. I say "secretary", while my father would say "secretri". Remember Harold Macmillan saying "The winds of change are blowing in the African contn'nt".
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  17. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    Actually, my Dad (63) does that for some days too (the -di suffix). He is a Kiwi, but had one Scotland-born parent, and one NZ-born Scottish parent - I don't know if that matters.
  18. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I would agree with your father. It would appear to be partly a generational thing and perhaps educational. I was born in 1936 and was taught RP at a public school.