1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pronunciation - year 2013

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by inda70, Sep 14, 2008.

1. inda70 New Member

spanish/ (spain)
    Hello, I know that it's a silly question, but I've got a doubt. The year 1987 is nineteen eighty-seven, however the year 2003 is pronounced two thousand and three. My question is how do you say 2013 for example... is two thousand and thirteen or twenty thirteen? thanks in advance.

2. sniffrat

sniffrat Senior Member

Leicester, England
    English, UK
    Hi inda

It's not a silly question at all. On the news last week there was talk about the Olympics in London in four years time. They all said twenty twelve so I assume that it's gong to be twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen etc.

Let's hear what our North American friends think.

Saludos

3. zetem Senior Member

Canada, English
    The question is not silly but it is a bit late. In a few years we may again feel comfortable with the use of the old rule: The numbers of years are pronounced in two halves (e.g. twenty-eleven). For now, I say "two thousand and eight". Write or wrong? I don't know. Fortunately, I don't need to say it very often. I live in Canada. The Americans will likely omit "and". Good question. Regards.

4. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I don't think we'll know until we get there. When it turned 2000, we could have said "the year twenty hundred and one, two, etc." (like like we did for the years nineteen hundred and one, two, etc.). I have no idea who decided it would be "two thousand" instead. I guess it's just what the majority of people begin to use. There are no rules as far as I know, and either one would be correct.

5. mhp Senior Member

American English
  6. inda70 New Member

spanish/ (spain)
    Thanks a lot for all your answers. It has been a great help!

7. 40TONY Junior Member

Spanish
    I am not sure how can I read this date in English.Someone knows?

8. espanol21 New Member

English - England
    "Twenty Thirteen". Or you could say "Two Thousand and Thirteen"

9. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Years like 2003 were "two thousand three" or "two thousand and three".
    But now that we are out of the first decade, I think people are saying "twenty..." more than "two thousand..."

10. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    There's still a lot of confusion. I would say "two thousand thirteen," without the "and" (I'm lazy).

11. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Don't let anyone tell you you're lazy, FromPA. My schoolteachers taught me that the form without "and" is correct.
    (This was long before 2013! I'm referring to numbers like "two-hundred [and] thirty seven".)

12. TheTruthWSYF Junior Member

Canadá
    Canadian English
    If you're referring to the date (which you obviously are)
    in American English: Twenty thirteen
    in British English: Twenty thirteen
    in Canadian English (no one ever cares about Canadian English :(): twenty thirteen

However, because 2001 to 2009 were spelled "two thousand and one" and "two thousand and nine," there is still a sort of "momentum" to keep using that sort of system, but it will die out. The key is, as some have said, laziness. For example, "1999" is pronounced "nineteen ninety-nine," and not "one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine" because the former has less sylables. That's all.

And Americans, it is grammatically incorrect to say "two thousand nine." Well, maybe it isn't, but it just sounds dumb. Just a Canadian insight :p

13. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Another vote for Twenty Thirteen.

14. flyingcabbage Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Here (Ireland), we say both "Twenty-thirteen" and "Two thousand and thirteen". I think "twenty thirteen" is becoming more popular and soon we'll refer to every year with "twenty" and not "two thousand". Neither sounds weird to me though, you can say whichever you like.

15. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Twenty Thirteen is what I would say. It's easier and quicklier.

16. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Two thousand and thirteen .

Twenty thirteen no es correcta, porque se necesita decir así:
    twenty hundred and thirteen.
    :cross:

17. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    No lo entiendo. Siempre me dijeron que los números de 4 cifras se pueden decir en grupos de dos, lo mismo que ,por ejemplo, 1999 (Nineteen Ninety-nine)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  18. TheTruthWSYF Junior Member

Canadá
    Canadian English
    Así es. Te enseñaron bien. 1999 también se traduce en grupos de dos: nineteen ninety-nine (diecinueve noventa-y-nueve). 2013 también sigue esta regla: twenty thirteen (veinte trece).

Lo que dijiste hace rato fue incorrecto porque no fue traducido en grupos de dos. Twenty hundred and thirteen equivale a "Veinte ciento y trece". Ahí tienes tres grupos: veinte, ciento, y trece. O sea, tienes dos dígitos demasiados: Twenty (20) hundred (00) thirteen (13) entonces sería escrito "200013." A la otra mano, twenty (20) thirteen (13) equivale a 2013 - lo que queremos. Ahí nos paramos.

19. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English

Pero no es correcta. Si se escribe un cheque contwenty thirteen dólares, claro el banco no aceptará este cheque. Se necesita escribir así: two thousand and thirteendólares o twenty hundred and thirteen dólares.

20. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Bueno...yo no lo dije. Gracias por confirmarlo.

21. flyingcabbage Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Magmod, I get what you're saying about cheques (saying "I have a cheque here for twenty thirteen euro" sounds ridiculous) but in the context of years I think "twenty thirteen" is perfectly fine. It may not be grammatically correct, but it's definitely the most common way of saying it and (almost) everyone understands it.

22. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Thanks for your comment FC.
    Yes of course you’re right. It's just sometimes can be confusing. I think the Spaniards say: dos mil trece. This may be another reason to stick with the same format.
    You see the year is actually 2013 AD i.e. two thousand and thirteen (years AD). Similarly for writing a cheque in dollars.
    However a telephone number can be pronounced the way you've mentioned without confusione.g. 0034 012 31 45 9001 because it is meant for dialing and does not have a unit after it.

This is just my opinion.

23. Kevin R

Kevin R Senior Member

Ulverston, Cumbria,UK
    English, UK
    I am interested in how hispanohablantes pronounce the year 2013 - do they say "veinte-trece" o "dos mille trece" por ejemplo?

24. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    We say dos mil trece.

25. Kevin R

Kevin R Senior Member

Ulverston, Cumbria,UK
    English, UK
    Gracias, Chamyto.