propagateur de chien?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by annanita, Dec 10, 2012.

1. annanita New Member

Hungarian
    What is the correct French term for a person who breeds dogs (popular, fashionable pure-bred species) only to earn money, while he doesn't care about the well-being of his animals or the future of the puppies after selling them? Unfortunately I don't know the right word in English either, but if I use the "google translate" from my own language (Hungarian) it gives "propagateur" in French...! Thank you for your help!

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I think you're looking for a "éleveur de chiens" (dog breeder).

I don't think there is a word that conveys the connotations you describe here - of not caring about the welfare of the animals after sale - in either English or French.

3. annanita New Member

Hungarian
    I see! Thank you! In Hungarian the word suggests that the person only cares about the NUMBER of the animals and not about their further life. :)

4. sophie3210

sophie3210 Senior Member

Paris
    France and French
    Hi,

I agree with Lucas, I can't think of a French term for that... But there are some "éleveurs" who don't give a damn about the future of their puppies... Still they're called "éleveurs".

5. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    The English term is "puppy mills". Poor pooches!

6. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Well in fact we can amend the name like this : "éleveurs de chiens en batterie", which refers to "battery farming".

Ils élèvent des chiens en batterie, c'est un élevage en batterie, ils pratiquent l'élevage en batterie.

7. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Oh no! "Puppy mills" and "élevage en batterie" are obviously too depressing for me to have thought of them so early on a Monday.

But still in English we don't have a specific word for the kind of breeder who would run a puppy mill, right?

8. sophie3210

sophie3210 Senior Member

Paris
    France and French
    Maybe we could say, in the same vein, "éleveurs à la chaîne" ? To me, "en batterie" refers to poultry bred in small cages... So depressing...

9. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    puppy miller??? ;)

10. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Français
    For puppy mill, we see: usine à chiens / usine à chiots.

11. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    Je viens de lire trois articles sur le scandale des élevages de chiens en batterie. On y parle de pseudo-éleveurs ou de soi-disant-éleveurs et même de fabricants de chiens.