propagateur de chien?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by annanita, Dec 10, 2012.

1. annanita New Member

What is the correct French term for a person who breeds dogs (popular, fashionable pure-bred species) only to earn money, while he doesn't care about the well-being of his animals or the future of the puppies after selling them? Unfortunately I don't know the right word in English either, but if I use the "google translate" from my own language (Hungarian) it gives "propagateur" in French...! Thank you for your help!
  2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I think you're looking for a "éleveur de chiens" (dog breeder).

I don't think there is a word that conveys the connotations you describe here - of not caring about the welfare of the animals after sale - in either English or French.
  3. annanita New Member

I see! Thank you! In Hungarian the word suggests that the person only cares about the NUMBER of the animals and not about their further life. :)
  4. sophie3210

sophie3210 Senior Member

France and French

I agree with Lucas, I can't think of a French term for that... But there are some "éleveurs" who don't give a damn about the future of their puppies... Still they're called "éleveurs".
  5. Tazzler Senior Member

American English
    The English term is "puppy mills". Poor pooches!
  6. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    Well in fact we can amend the name like this : "éleveurs de chiens en batterie", which refers to "battery farming".

Ils élèvent des chiens en batterie, c'est un élevage en batterie, ils pratiquent l'élevage en batterie.
  7. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Oh no! "Puppy mills" and "élevage en batterie" are obviously too depressing for me to have thought of them so early on a Monday.

But still in English we don't have a specific word for the kind of breeder who would run a puppy mill, right?
  8. sophie3210

sophie3210 Senior Member

France and French
    Maybe we could say, in the same vein, "éleveurs à la chaîne" ? To me, "en batterie" refers to poultry bred in small cages... So depressing...
  9. Tazzler Senior Member

American English
    puppy miller??? ;)
  10. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    For puppy mill, we see: usine à chiens / usine à chiots.
  11. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    Je viens de lire trois articles sur le scandale des élevages de chiens en batterie. On y parle de pseudo-éleveurs ou de soi-disant-éleveurs et même de fabricants de chiens.