propiciar golpes de puño

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by giorce17, Mar 14, 2013.

1. giorce17 Junior Member

español
    Hi! How would you say "el acusado le propició tres golpes de puño"? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  2. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    propicio? Is that the simple past of propiciar?

3. giorce17 Junior Member

español
    That is coRrect. In fact is propició. I really need to translate: "El acusado le propició tres piñas".
    Which is something wrong to say because "piña" is a slang word for punch.
    Ineed to split the sentence: half in a proper way to speak, half in a coloquial way.

4. giorce17 Junior Member

español
    "Piña" is our slang for "golpe de puño" so if you could help me with both, I will appreciate!

5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    The problem is that the dictionary definition of propiciar has nothing to do with punching people! Perhaps it's a slang usage of propiciar. Maybe you could give someother examples of how propiciar could be used in the same way or you could give more context that would help us figure out what is meant.

"The accused favored him with three punches" does not make much sense in English so maybe you could explain how it makes sense in Spanish.

I see that you got an answer in another thread, and my answer wouldn't be much better:

The accused
    --punched him three times
    --dealt him three blows with his fist

6. giorce17 Junior Member

español
    The context is that of a journalist in a TV show covering the news about a celebrity being hit by a security guard.
    So she said "el acusado le propició (like gave him) tres piñas". In Spanish that sentence is kind of split.
    Because she started speaking in a correct way "el acusado le propició" and ended up saying a slang word ("piñas").
    That's the funny thing. I'm trying to make it work in English. Does it make any sense?

7. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    I assume that the security guard if he punched the celebrity three times did it on purpose. That being so, an equivalent way of saying that with a formal start and a slang finish would be:

The accused served him a knuckle sandwich three times. ​

It keeps the spirit, though not the literal meaning, of propiciar in that the accused is serving the celebrity, which sounds like he is benefiting the celebrity in some way, and the verb "serve" can be somewhat formal. The "knuckle sandwich" is slang for a punch. It usually refers to a punch in the mouth, or at least in the face.

If the blows were to the stomach (vientre), you could say:

The accused fed him a knuckle sandwich right to the breadbasket three times.​

If neither of these work, let me know what part of the body was struck, and I'll attempt an alternative.

8. giorce17 Junior Member

español
    That is great! It doesn´t reaaly matter where the punches were (actually I don´t know)
    So if the "half and half" way to say it is: "The accused served him a knuckle sandwich three times" What would he proper way be? "The acussed served him three punches"? And the "all slang" way? Thanks a lot!!!

9. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Proper: The accused punched him three times.

Slang: The accused slugged him three times.

The assertion of the accused: The celebrity used his face to hit my hand three times.

10. giorce17 Junior Member

español
    Thank You very much!!!!! You´ve been very helpful! :)

11. FRAGUA

FRAGUA Senior Member

El error de inicio está en que no se dice "propiciar", sino que debe ser "propinar".
    Propinar una paliza = to give a hiding.