Proto-Indo-European: *téynos

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by ryba, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Dear all,

Anybody here capable of telling which pronominal form underlies PIE *téynos? It is supposed to be the form that gives origin to Proto-Germanic *þīnaz > Old English þīn > Modern English thy, thine. All I know is that it's an adjectival development based on the PIE second-person singular oblique stem in *t-. But which pronoun form(s) exactly? Is that kind of info recoverable? Hansen (2012: 181) says it's an "adjektivisk dannelse til pron. *tu ”du” [adjectival development based on the pronoun *tu 'you']" and reconstructs the PIE form as *t(u̯)éi̯-no-s, but knowing it comes from the PIE second-person singular is not enough for me. I couldn't find anything in Ringe (2006) nor in Sihler (1995), and Google doesn't seem to help either. Anyone?

Hansen, Bjarne Simmelkjær Sandgaard. 2012. Gothic: BA seminar in Germanic historical linguistics at the University of Copenhagen.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Skt. te is the enclitic dative and genitive singular of tvam “thou”.

3. ryba

ryba Senior Member

PIE gen. encl. is, according to Ringe (2006: 57), *toy. And the other guys say the same. But I don't have enough knowledge of PIE derivational morphology as to infer a lot from that. The plural oblique stem (PGmc) *izwiz on which PGmc second-person plural gen. *izweraz (plural of *þīnaz) is built seems to have quite a complicated origin related with an innovative PIE instrumental form (Ringe 2006: 211). But, according to Hansen, *þīnaz has a more straightforward PIE origin: *téynos. The question is how was it constructed? :confused:

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    *toy and *tey become te in Sanskrit.