1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Prouder / more proud

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Lisa_postergirl, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Lisa_postergirl Junior Member

Spain - Spanish
    I feel about an inch tall just having to ask this, cause i've seen it and even written it myself many times, but right now i can't seem to remember which one i should use... :eek:

so, which one is more correct? prouder or more proud? as in "It makes me even more proud/prouder of..."

Thanks.

2. mjmuak

mjmuak Senior Member

París
    Spanish Spain (Andalusia)
    a mí me suena más "more proud", pero quizá sean las dos formas correctas por ser un adjetivo de una sílaba

saludos

3. lazarus1907 Senior Member

Lincoln, England
    Spanish, Spain
    La regla que aprendí hace muchísimos años era que los monosílabos formaban el comparativo siempre con el sufijo -er (a menos que tengan una forma especial, como "better"), los que tenían más de dos sílabas siempre con "more", y con los de dos sílbas tenías la elección, aunque en algunos casos se usa más el "more".

En este caso yo diría "prouder".

4. Lisa_postergirl Junior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Yeah, i know about that rule too, i learned it at school, just with "proud" both options sounded good to me, and that made me doubt. That and the fact that "prouder" is not at the wordreference dicctionary.

Thank you both for your answers, but i still don't really know which one to use lol :confused: since each of you chose a different option hahahaha.

but thanks anyway ;)

5. paolorausch Senior Member

Cape Coral, Florida, USA
    USA, English, Sicilianu
    In the context you provided I would say "prouder", but I would say "I could not be more proud of you". Each have their own uses/idioms.

I hope that helps, I will edit if I can think of better examples.

6. Lisa_postergirl Junior Member

Spain - Spanish
    There, that's what i thought, i knew i had seen it written both ways, that's why i was confused. So, you can use both, but each one has their own use, thanks a lot!

:D

7. DelaChón

DelaChón Senior Member

Europe
    EUR Spanish (Aragon)
    I guess that when you want to reinforce the idea, then you say 'more proud'. Consequently, depending on each situation of communication, you would use it, just as paolorausch pointed out above.

One example I can think of is the sentence: "nothing would make me more proud". Saying "nothing would make me prouder" is, of course, correct. However, saying one or the other depends on your intention. Wanna emphasize the message? Use the first example. You don't find necessary? Opt for the second one.

Peace!

8. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Some adjectives appear less frequently in the comparative form, and therefore one hesitates to be dogmatic. In the example just given, I would probably say Nothing would make me prouder, but I would not rule out the other form.