Psychological Style of Language Forum Users

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by fenixpollo, Feb 10, 2006.

?

What is Your Preferred Psychological Style?

1. Logical/Analytical

43 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Expressive/Creative

27 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. Empathic

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Directive

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    The Question: What is your psychological style? (see descriptions below)
    ** while you have all 4 styles in you, you have one that you prefer or favor in most situations, most of the time; it’s your comfort zone, your default setting.
    La Pregunta: ¿Cuál es tu estilo psicológico? (ver descripciones abajo)
    ** aunque tienes cada de los 4 estilos adentro de ti, hay uno que prefieres o favoreces in la mayoría de las situaciones, la mayoría del tiempo; es tu lugar cómodo, tu programación original.

The Concept: Carl Jung described 4 Psychological Types (wikipedia). People like Myers and Briggs have created models to describe his 4 major types, or styles. Each model uses different names for the four styles (e.g. Empathic is the same as Supportive, Converger, Mediator, Judging, Empathetic, Amiable, Blue, Yellow...) but their characteristics are similar from one model to the next.

The Hypothesis: That the people who participate here will primarily fall into 2 of the 4 groups (I'll tell you which 2 later). Not only would I like to validate or disprove my hypothesis, I'd like to hear your comments about your own personality and the benefits/drawbacks of this kind of personality typing -- which has grown increasingly popular in business in the last decade.

The Styles:
    Empathic – focuses on relationships; patient, cooperative, understanding, caring; initial response to conflict is to give in; slow to decide, quick to collaborate, likes everyone to feel involved; expressive and open gestures, relaxed posture, smooth tone of voice.

Logical/Analytical – focuses on information; logical, process-oriented, organized; initial response to conflict is to avoid; slow to decide, quick to analyze, likes to have all the details; reserved and minimal gestures, formal or professional posture, soft tone of voice.

Creative/Expressive – focuses on solutions; innovative, energetic, team player; initial response to conflict is to attack; moves quickly, sees the big picture, likes to inspire others; expressive and broad gestures, animated posture and tone of voice.

Directive – focuses on results; capable, risk-taking, responsible; initial response to conflict is to dictate; quick to decide, slow to focus on others or details, likes constant progress towards high standards; firm gestures and posture, energetic and serious tone of voice.

Los Estilos:
    Lógico/Analítico – se enfoca en la información; lógico, centrado en los procesos, organizado; primera respuesta al conflicto es evitar; decide lentamente, analiza rápidamente, le gusta tener todos los detalles; reservado con gestos mínimos, postura formal o profesional, voz baja.

Creativo/Expresivo – se enfoca en las soluciones; innovador, enérgico, un miembro atrevido de un equipo; primera respuesta al conflicto es atacar; mueve rápidamente, habla en términos generales, le gusta inspirar a los demás; gestos expresivos y grandes, postura y voz animadas.

Empático – se enfoca en las relaciones; paciente, cooperativo, understanding, cariñoso; primera respuesta al conflicto es rendir; decide lentamente, colabora rápidamente, le gusta que todos se sientan involucrados; gestos expresivos y abiertos, postura relajada, voz suave.

Directivo – se enfoca en los resultados; capaz, toma riesgos, responsable; primera respuesta al conflicto es mandar; decide rápidamente, no se enfoca tanto en los demás o en los detalles, le gusta progreso constante hacia estándares altos; gestos y postura firme, voz enérgico y serio.

Translations into other languages are extremely welcome.

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Wearing Moderator hat: We have recently removed a number of threads that were designed primarily for research and data collection. They fall outside the scope of a discussion forum.
    Therefore, if you participate in the poll, please also participate in the conversation. If the number of poll votes exceeds the number of posts, this good thread will need to be closed.
    Remember, this forum is a place to share ideas and information.

Thanks,
    Cuchuflete

3. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    I appreciate fenix idea.

I have doubted about my vote, since I think it is a bit simplistic but anyway, I understand fenix guess.

I promise to say if my personal guess is not well oriented.

4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    So, Fenixpollo, is there any significance to the fact that two of the styles are bolded in their entirety, while two are in plain text?
    hmmmm.

5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    I have not voted, as I use totally different styles when participating as I am now, as a forero, and when I am working as a moderator.

Should we add an option for schizoid?

6. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    No, because they would vote thrice.

7. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Interesting thread!
    Would you mind if I ask you how can one know for sure which type he/she is? I feel that I see part of me in every type:eek: (am I abnormal, doctor?:D )

Oh, and that's why I haven't voted yet.

8. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    Absolutely not, Kelly. Thanks for pointing it out. :eek: It's a formatting problem that I'm trying to correct.
    edit: I'm still having trouble with the spacing, but at least all options have similar formatting now. :mad:

As I said, you have every style in you. You will see characteristics from each style that are central to your personality. However, the category that best describes most of your interactions with people is the one you should choose.

I teach 8-hour classes on this material, and I'm starting to wonder if simplifying it makes into a single forum post makes it too simplistic to be able to choose a style. :(

Since a mere poll seems to be too narrow, let me ask other questionssss: How easily were you able to pick a style? If you didn't pick, why not? Do these categories accurately describe anyone you know? Is one or other of the styles typical of one culture more so than of another (for example, are Latinos more Expressive or are Germans more Directive when compared with other nationalities)? Can individuals or societies be categorized like this? Or is it just another form of stereotyping?

How's that?

9. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    I chose Directive
    Almost everything said in the style is wjht I do. I like to be the boss :D

10. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Hummm.....Do we get to choose more than one? I'm still confused by these options....I don't think anyone I know fit perfectly in any of the four. I think human beings are so much more complicated than these descriptions......

Besides, I don't really think it's a good idea to generalize a nation like this...(just my point of view....)

11. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    I'll be interested in knowing the results, too! I'd like to speculate, but I'd like more not to put my foot in my mouth at the end. je je

Me interesaría saber los resultados, también! Me gustaría especular, pero más me gustaría no meter la pata al fin y al cabo. je je

To be honest, I saw a part of myself in each style, as you had mentioned. By voting for one option, though, I'm committing to myself to its good points and bad ones. Pero, a ver....

Para ser honesta, ví una parte de mi misma en cada estilo, como lo habías mencionado. Al votar por una opción solita, me comprometo a sus buen puntos y los malos. Pero, a ver...

As I looked at each style, I tried to imagine which one I'd fall into as "default", or which one I felt most "at home" in. I chose the empathetic style.

Como miraba a cada estilo, intenté imaginar en cuál categoria me anotaría, o en cuál me sentía lo más cómoda. Eligí el estilo empático.

I'm a very patient person, and take my time when making big decisions. Surprisingly, I make mistakes rather easily. ja ja (I'm full of jokes today, eh?) However, my initial response to conflict is NOT to give in, rather... to simply avoid it. ja ja To be honest, I'm more apt to talk things out in a calm, civilized manner. I'm fairly expressive and like to include everyone in discussions. I like the feeling of "everyone" ::makes the shape of the world with hands::

Soy una persona muy paciente y tomo el tiempo cuando hago gran decisiones. Sorprendentemente, hago los errores facilmente, sin pensar demasiado. ja ja (Estoy llena de los chistes hoy, no?) No obstante, mi primera respuesta al conflicto NO es rendir, sino simplemente evitarlo. ja ja Al ser honesta, estoy propensa a discutir las cosas de manera tranquila, civilizada. Estoy bastante expresiva y me gusta incluir a todos en las discusiones. Me gusta el sentido de "todos" ::con las manos hago la forma del mundo::

How about everyone else?

Qué opinan los demás?

12. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    nichec -- are there 2 of the styles that seem to fit you better than the others?

Of course, nichec, you may have encountered the central flaw in Jung's theory: Nobody is only one type, and while some people prefer one type, other people flex easily between two or three types.

Al -- the directive style doesn't necessarily like to be the boss. They just like to get things done, and other people usually don't get things done as well or as fast as the directive person would like... so sometimes they have to push, motivate, take control or do it themselves.

13. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    It is difficult to decide only on one of those characteristics, because we all tend to share some or all of them in a certain degree.
    If I had to choose only one, it would be Logical/Analytical.

14. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Oh, it's okay, I chose one already (God, finally....:D ) I'm just always slow to make decisions (this fact helps me to decide this time hehe) from which color of the skirts to buy to which kind of food to eat for dinner....:eek:

I think I've heard this theory before (yeah, a psychology major here, a lousy one, I should add:D ) I personally prefer to think that everyone falls in some gray zones here.

15. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    No, that's called "being versatile", not "schizo". :) It's good that you use different styles when you're in different roles. Moderators are probably more successful when they're being directive, just as psychologists are probably more successfull when they're being empathic.

On the other hand directive personalities do not necessarily make better leaders (just better wardens). For example, look at our Expressive Presidents (GW Bush, Clinton) and Analytical Presidents (Wilson) and Empathetic Presidents (Carter)... some of whom were actually successful! And George Washington was by no means Directive... he was likely an Empathic.

A side note: Senior Members who do not have an avatar are most likely Logical or Directive, because those styles are task oriented and they value professionalism over frivolity.

16. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Not always....;)

17. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    What a shocking generalisation!!

My (mock) indignation must at least be an indicator of my style. Directive no. Overly decisive, no not really.

18. Papalote Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    Spanish, English, French
    Hello, forer@s,

I also had some difficulty in deciding which described my style best, but I finally ended choosing only one, much to my regret, for the purposes of Fenix Pollo`s scientific research . My choice was Creative/Expressive.

Since I feel some characteristics of the other personalities, err, I mean Styles, would also fit my individual style, I’ve cut out the parts of each style which do not fit and left only the parts which for sure, after rereading this, would make me a prime candidate for Cuchu`s Zchizo alternative .

Creative/Expressive – focuses on solutions (isn’t this the point of a discussion ); innovative, energetic; initial response to conflict is to attack (I wouldn’t call it attack, more like persuade) ; moves quickly, sees the big picture, likes to inspire others (would this be something like telling people what to do? `cause then it fits); expressive and broad gestures, animated posture and tone of voice (yep, I do all this except when I am speaking in English, strange, eh? My husband says that if I ever sat on my hands I wouldn’t be able to utter a single word ).

Empathic – patient (I like explaining things, methods, etc., but only once ), cooperative, understanding, caring; expressive and open gestures (have I mentioned that I move my hands a lot?).

Logical/Analytical – Bases strategy on information; logical, more or less organized; quick to analyze;

Directive – capable, risk-taking, responsible; quick to decide, likes constant progress towards high standards;

Well, that’s all folks!

Papalote

19. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    Thanks, Papalote, for your generous characterization of this experiment as "scientific research". :D

I have highlighted in blue the characteristics that you chose from the other styles that are consistent with the Expressive style.
    Cirrus and Kelly, the second major flaw of this model is that any time you make generalizations, you do two things:
    1) ignore alternatives, exceptions and uniqueness;
    2) take a step closer to stereotyping.

By no means am I saying "if you don't have an avatar, you're analytical or directive and if you do, you're expressive or empathic". I'm just saying...

I realize that each of you is a unique and special person, and I understand any resistance or resentment you feel in being pigeonholed. That's a normal and natural human response, and you're totally correct that the whole concept of this thread is, in a way, a little misguided.

Answer the $#^* poll anyway. :) And please, contribute to the discussion!

20. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Yeah, although I voted for one of the two types you mentioned, being a senior member without an avatar is simply a result of my not knowing how to put my favorite picture here (I'm totally clueless when it comes to computers and internet). See, this is the problem of making assumptions:D

21. judkinsc

judkinsc Senior Member

Indiana
    English, USA
    I went with expressive/creative. It changes with age, I've noticed. I first took the Myers-Brig when I 16 or so, scoring INTP, a year or so later it went to INFP, then ENFJ...some of them weren't a complete Myers-Brig profile, more like excerpts... These days, I expect it'd be more ENTJ or something. I've always been on a balance sliding between that T/F though, scoring nearly even on the tests. Maybe I'll go find one online and take it, just to see. Could be fun.

I mostly voted for expressive/creative because I talk with my hands all of the time. Especially when I'm teaching something.

22. Papalote Senior Member

Quebec, Canada
    Spanish, English, French
    Sorry, Pollito, to shoot down your theory about senior`s avatars, but I don`t have one yet because I haven`t found one that expresses my unique individual personality;) :D .

Papalote

Shucks, I can`t lie. The reason why I do not have an avatar is because I haven`t found the time to upload or whatever one does to avatars (and, before you make any sort of comment ;) my advanced age has nothing to do with not knowing how to upload the lil` creatures!:D )

P

23. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    Yeah, my learning curve was pretty steep on the graphics. I didn't figure out how to create an avatar until I was here for more than 6 months.

Computer skills are not a personality trait, thank goodness...

Chad... teachers tend to be more successful when they adopt an expressive style. Also, 60% of teenagers behave like expressives as they try to figure out the whole social thing.

24. judkinsc

judkinsc Senior Member

Indiana
    English, USA
    I went and took the Keirsey Temperment Sorter II online. ENTJ. While accounting for biased expectations, I haven't taken one of these tests in years, and didn't plan on answering questions to get the result I wanted. I just answered them as best as I could. Deliberated over it enough, too.

How's that work with Jung's original that you're using here, Fenix?

25. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Creative/Expressive – focuses on solutions; innovative, energetic, team player; initial response to conflict is to attack; moves quickly, sees the big picture, likes to inspire others; expressive and broad gestures, animated posture and tone of voice.

Basically this. We've already done this during our Linguistic classes on the Learning Strategies discipline. I've tried to highlight at least 3 of the above characterists but I couldn't choose among all. I'm all of them. :D

26. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Logical/analytical.

27. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    That's not a surprise. :)

Chad: My area of expertise is not the MBTI. I don't like it because its interpretation is complex and takes practice. My inexpert, superficial evaluation is that ENTJ corresponds most closely with the Expressive type.

28. Chaska Ñawi

Chaska Ñawi modus borealis

an old Ontario farmhouse
    Canadian English
    I voted in what you refer to as your !*+# poll, but don't think it's an accurate reflection. Where's your option for old-fashioned square pegs in round holes? ;)

29. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Yes, that is my Psychological Style!

30. Mayagirl

Mayagirl New Member

U.S.
    America/English
    Wow, this is interesting! When I went to vote, however, I realized that I don't really fit into one style (as other people have noticed about themselves as well). Personally i know my "style" changes depending on what kind of situation I'm in. For example, I'm a lot more likely to fit into the Logical/analytical group in a forum situation like this (also more outgoing, etc.):cool: and to be more Empathic (giving in faster, caring more about relationships, generally being less outgoing, etc.) when I'm face to face with other people. How do you consider those type of things when deciding what "style" you are?
    Seeing how this is a forum, I did pick Logical/Analytical though. :D
    Oh, and, as a sidenote, how do you create those cool little avatars?:confused: Just kidding.;)

31. Maria Juanita

Maria Juanita Senior Member

Colombia
    Español/English/Français...
    Hola Pollito!!! Ante todo felicitaciones por esta thread. Para gente como yo, que padece de una especie de "hipocondria psicologica" (jejeje:D ) pues tener la oportunidad de discutir estas cosas y de paso psicoanalizarse es muy chévere ;)
    Ahora sí vamos a lo que vamos:

1. No voté. No encajo en el target: Mi tendencia a evitar los conflictos me haría un ser lógico, -aunque no tiene nada de lógico darle vueltas a un problema- pero no me enfoco en la información ni soy de gestos reservados. Digamos que soy creativa pero no soy muy dada a los términos generales. No soy el team type -y pensar que creía ser una persona creativa!!!:p - Tomémoslo entonces por el lado empático:me gusta pensar en los demás y hacer cosas por ellos pero no soy muy cooperativa; ahora, estoy un poco confundida pues por ejemplo, a alguien a quien le guste inspirar a los demás podría ser del tipo directivo más que del creativo. Por último, tipo directivo, pues...me gusta tomar riesgos, pero hasta allá no voy.

2. Avatares. Again, no estoy de acuerdo. La única razón por la que no tengo un avatar e porque cada vez que lo intento, el computador sigue diciéndome que mi imagen es muy grande para incluirla en el file. :( Será que no tener mucha habilidad con los computadores es signo de algun tipo de personalidad? ;)

3. Hace días estaba viendo esta thread :

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=47648&page=2&highlight=holding+length

y me interesé por el tema. Se trata de un método para medir la personalidad llamado el eneagrama. No sé si lo conoces; me encantaría oir tu opinión acerca de éste.

4. Hice mi search y encontré este test (sorry, está en español). Que lo disfruten.

http://www.calidad.org/s/test.php3

Supongo que al final tendré que resignarme a tomar el tipo lógico analítico aunque me encantaría decir que soy creativa/expresiva. Gajes de las clasificaciones. Quizá me decida por la Cuchu-esquizo-clasificación, jejeje....de pronto si hablamos de psiquiatría así sea en chiste, hasta existan clasificaciones bipolares, esquizoides, ciclótimicas, obsesivo-compulsivas, etc, todas inspiradas en estas 4 clasificaciones. (just kidding :eek: )

Saludillos

32. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    It was hard, in asking people to choose one style, to explain that each person uses all four styles at different times. I used all four styles today at different times, in different situations, with different people. I will even switch styles in the course of one conversation with one person, depending on a lot of factors.

I recognize that many of you might say "I'm Analytical while I'm in the forum." We all put on our professor hats and analyze language. But if all of us were only practicing an Analytical style while foruming, then the mods wouldn't have to scold people for chatting, and we wouldn't need smilies and avatars.
    What style you "are" may be different from what style you "are right now."

I'm looking for the style that describes you best, most of the time; or said another way, the style that describes you best when you're comfortable, relaxed, at ease, not guarded, authentic.

Some more comparison of the styles:
    Do you focus more on people and relationships? When you greet your coworkers/classmates/boss/teacher, what's the first thing you ask after saying "hi" -- "how was your weekend?" Do you vary your tone of voice, facial expressions and gestures? Then you prefer an Expressive or Empathic style.
    Do you focus more on tasks and processes? Do you get down to business with your coworkers/classmates/boss/teacher before chatting? Then you prefer an Analytical or Directive style.

Do you tend to ask more questions and make more conditional statements? "Will you pass me that pen, please?" Do you speak in softer tones and tend to be more laid back? Then you prefer an Analytical or Empathic style.
    Do you tend to make more statements? "Pass me that pen, will you?" Are you focused and energetic? Then you prefer an Expressive or Directive style.

33. Mayagirl

Mayagirl New Member

U.S.
    America/English
    Well, in that case, I guess I'd have to admit to being generally Empathic, although not every single one of those things totally described me. But, oh well, I already voted...I'll have to leave my Analytical hat on for the time being. :) And to prove it I used my analytical skills to figure out how to get an avatar. ;) Yay, me. :rolleyes:

34. *Cowgirl*

*Cowgirl* Senior Member

USA English
    I'm definitly analytical sometimes to an excruciatingly annoying degree.

35. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Logical/analytical is exactly how my bosses describe me when I'm being "evaluated" : I can be blamed for not speaking unless I have something interesting to say and I'm pretty sure it's accurate...
    However, when I'm at more "creative" tasks, at work, or in my personal life (eg. organizing a party, designing a wedding invitation), I've been told by clients/friends/relatives that I'm particularly patient and cooperative, closer to the empathic category I guess... or maybe not: Sometimes people don't agree at first with my "creative ideas", they want to try something else. That's not a problem, I will support my opinion but will then let go... knowing that in the end, after we've followed their path, we will come back to my idea... because my idea is the right thing to do :D

So I probably won't be mistaken if I vote logical/analytical he ?

(fenix, your link doesn't work... or is it just me ?)

It seems there's one clearly showing...

36. Kräuter_Fee

Kräuter_Fee Senior Member

Spain
    Portuguese&Spanish (native)/ (English&German - foreign)
    I voted "Directive", I think it fits me best :eek: but it's not that accurate.

37. blancalaw

blancalaw Senior Member

Detroit, Michigan
    USA, English
    I am a very analytical person, if there isn't a purpose for doing something, I won't do it. Creative? I believe my spouse is more creative than I am.

38. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    i'm more empathic than anything else. it's interesting that most people go for analytical. i imagine people tend to look at ideas more when they are stuck behind a screen than they might in real life.

and besides we all like to think of ourselves as great thinkers and astute observers of life, otherwise we wouldn't spend all our time postulating our hypotheses in the culture forum.

empathic doesn't always go very well with moderation duties.. a lot of time people see doormat. so then i go and get cuchuflete and the boys to go round haha.

39. nanel Senior Member

Madrid (Spain)
    Spain (Spanish)
    ¡Qué difícil! He cogido los 4 tipos y he puesto en rojo aquello que no se corresponde conmigo para poder decidir a cuál me ajusto más:

Lógico/Analítico – se enfoca en la información; lógico, centrado en los procesos, organizado; primera respuesta al conflicto es evitar; decide lentamente, analiza rápidamente, le gusta tener todos los detalles; reservado con gestos mínimos, postura formal o profesional, voz baja.

Creativo/Expresivo – se enfoca en las soluciones; innovador, enérgico, un miembro atrevido de un equipo; primera respuesta al conflicto es atacar; mueve rápidamente, habla en términos generales, le gusta inspirar a los demás; gestos expresivos y grandes, postura y voz animadas.

Empático – se enfoca en las relaciones; paciente, cooperativo, understanding, cariñoso; primera respuesta al conflicto es rendir; decide lentamente, colabora rápidamente, le gusta que todos se sientan involucrados; gestos expresivos y abiertos, postura relajada, voz suave.

Directivo – se enfoca en los resultados; capaz, toma riesgos, responsable; primera respuesta al conflicto es mandar; decide rápidamente, no se enfoca tanto en los demás o en los detalles, le gusta progreso constante hacia estándares altos; gestos y postura firme, voz enérgico y serio.

Y una vez visto esto veo que estoy más bien entre Creativa/Expresiva y Empática, pero me voy a quedar con el 1º por una diferencia de 1 característica más en común, así que ha estado muy ajustado. Espero que todo este rollo que te estoy contando te sirva para tu "proyecto" ;)

40. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    I think there is at least a style missing: Deceptive: focuses on deception, talkative, irresponsible, misleading, two-faced, scheming, initial response to conflict is to make someone else responsible for it; quick to decide but slow to show his/her decision, mild and conducting gestures...

Another possible: fanatic/pigheaded: focuses on what he/she believes, repetitive, self-confident, impatient, uncooperative, initial and final answers to conflict are the same...

...I suspect that no one is going to choose these two, though these behaviours are not rare at all.

My point is that I find the classification quite arbitrary and it does not include all the behaviour... I would have liked to vote for Piscis!

I was just being a little deceptive... I would say Logical/analytical best fits me, but I like Creative/Energetic also... I guess that the fact that I'm being a little irresolute is an evindence of my membership of the first group.

41. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    Interesting.

I personally find that a much more interesting personality trait than one's tendencies is the degree to which one favors one type.

Estimating that degree, when added to knowledge of which style is preferred can give remarkable insight into predicting reactions and responses.

42. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    Actually, amp, if you look at the information about Enneagram above, you'll see another set of personality categories that might include this behavior.

I chose this model instead of the Myers-Briggs, Enneagram, Big Five or another model because I thought it was more simplistic. :rolleyes: Little did I know...
    True, true... although if you want to vote for Pisces, you should vote Empathic. ;)
    It's not that Logical/Analytical is indecisive, rather that they analyze and weigh all the evidence (as well as picking apart and critiquing the entire premise and approach) before they decide. :)

Benjy, I agree with you 100%. I think that the predominance of Logical/Analytical votes is because (a) this forum attracts that personality type and (b) the results are skewed because people who prefer one of the other styles when they're outside the forum voted for the Logical/Analytical because that's the style they prefer while in the forum.

Thanks for the heads-up on the link, geve. I'll make sure it's working today. Y gracias, Maria Juanita, por tanta información sobre otras alternativas. ¡Saludos!

43. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    The myer-briggs is a simple 4 quadrant filter which attempts to sort the families of personality types... but there are many many many more specific individual personality traits.

Check out THIS SITE for an entertaining analyis of the various types of nuts found online :)

44. JazzByChas

JazzByChas Senior Member

I guess I'm going to have to go with the above two, with Logical/analytical being at the core...but I do have a creative side, especially with languages (as seen in the AAVE Multilingual Glossary/AAVE==>Argot Themed List in French-English)
    However, even my "creativity" is measured, well thought out, and under control. Although I may be getting better at it, I could not spontaneously "rap" or "flow."

I like to process things in my mind a bit before I make a decision, and am not one to venture into anything I am not sure of (have not thoroughly researched).

So, i guess you would have to call me "conservatively crazy"
    :D

45. Laia

Laia Senior Member

Catalan, Spanish
    I voted at the beginning... and...
    ...now I confess: empathic.

46. fenixpollo

Arizona
    American English
    Chas... expressive/creative doesn't mean "artistically creative". No style has a monopoly on artistic ability. Lots of creative people have a logical/analytical approach to most things... even art, poetry or music.

Laia... as if we didn't know! :D

47. Laia

Laia Senior Member

Catalan, Spanish
    You knew it? Really? :rolleyes:
    Ah! You can read my mind... :D

48. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Don't bother to do that : it seems that wiki was down for a while today. It's working now.

But I have a nosy question for you : will you unveil what you voted ? :D (or did I miss something ?)

49. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

I voted for Logical/Analytical. I mean how would you call someone who makes a thesis, an antithesis and stops short there. Synthesis? Beyond my capabilities.
    Slow to decide? Mm, once and for all, I've decided not to decide at all :D

Oh yes, and there's this, too
    That suits me fine.

50. JazzByChas

JazzByChas Senior Member

Well, Mike, I guess you could say, I approach life with a "practiced craziness." I can create, but it has to be well thought out...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.