pubblico impiego

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by candel, Jan 28, 2013.

1. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
  2. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

Proz suggests that it is.

3. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    There's a thread here which talks about it as well.:)

4. Alessandrino Senior Member

Roma
    Italiano
    In your case, I think we're clearly talking of a civil servants' strike.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Attenzione, il termine civil servant non sempre corrisponde del tutto alla nozione di dipendente statale inteso come quelli che lavorano nel pubblico impiego.;) Per quanto riguarda il Regno Unito, Wiki dice:

The civil service in the United Kingdom only includes Crown employees; not those who are parliamentary employees. Public sector employees such as those in education and the NHS are not considered to be civil servants. Note that civil servants in the devolved government in Northern Ireland are not part of the Home Civil Service, but constitute the separate Northern Ireland Civil Service nor are employees of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

6. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Yes, that's what I was thinking too (with a small correction:); a civil servant's srike would be a strike by one civil servant). Alternatively you could say "civil service strike".

To candel: the public sector would refer to all workers in state enterpises, while "pubblico impiego" refers specifically to people who work directly for government ministries (like the civil service).

I'm not sure how international the expression "civil service" is; I don't know if the same term is used in the USA, for example.

PS Crossed with LC!:) We're saying something similar, aren't we? But you're more precise.:)

7. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I see we disagree here, Einstein.:D

But would you really call (for example) a teacher or a nurse in the UK a civil servant ? I wouldn't...;) What I mean is that the Italian pubblico impiego (public sector) indicates various kind of dipendenti statali (public sector workers) , not all of which would be classified as civil servants elsewhere....we can't use civil servant as a balnket term for dipendenti statali/lavoratori del pubblico impiego, in my opinion.:)

To my mind this is a public sector workers' strike.:)

By the way, the Wiki page I've linked up to here explains what Civil Service means all around the world.:)

8. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Hi Einstein,
    let me disagree about your definition of "pubblico impiego": http://www.assiselions.org/assets/applets/VADEMECUM-CAP_II-5.pdf "E' il rapporto di lavoro che lega un soggetto a una pubblica amministrazione. Fanno parte della Pubblica Amministrazione gli enti cosiddetti pubblici. Si può distinguere tra enti pubblici statali (come Ministeri, Scuole, Forze Armate e Prefetture),locali (come Regioni, Province, Comuni, ASL, Consorzi e Comunità Montane) nazionali e territoriali (come INPS, Monopoli, Poste, Coni, Camera di Commercio). Tutti questi enti sono comunque caratterizzati dal fatto di perseguire un interesse pubblico (cioè della collettività) quali l'interesse alla sicurezza, alla salute, all'istruzione ecc".
    As you can see, not only people working directly for ministries are involved.

9. Alessandrino Senior Member

Roma
    Italiano
    I guess this is one of those areas where the differences between our legal systems make it impossible to find a perfect match for dipendenti pubblici (on a note, I wouldn't say dipendenti statali either, because that would exclude workers employed by Regions or Councils, for instance).

So, all things considered, I think your public sector workers is probably the more appropriate translation in our case. A bit wordy maybe, yet technically impeccable.

10. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Hmm... I see there's some disagreement here. As Alessandrino points out, it's difficult to find an exact correspondence.

To LC: No, teachers and nurses are certainly not civil servants; when I spoke about working directly for ministries, I meant in the administration. So not teachers and nurses, but those who work in the offices of the ministries of Education and Health. So I think we more or less agree there.

It would help to know exactly who protested.:)

11. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    True, you have a point there.:)