Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Anamia, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Anamia Member

Portugal - Portuguese

What is the meaning of "pulcherrima"?

The sentence reads:
    santissima, inviolata, intemerata, pulcherrima.

I've looked in the net and could only find this word in connection with plants!

Thanks for your help.

2. Sicanius

Sicanius Senior Member

It should be latin for "bellissima"
  3. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Yes, it is the superlative of 'pulchra' (beautiful).
  4. FranParis

FranParis Banned

Français - France
    Pulcherrima mulier - Very beautiful woman.
  5. Anamia Member

Portugal - Portuguese

Thank you all. It sounded latin, but I am so tired, my brain shut down! ;(

Best regards,

6. Sicanius

Sicanius Senior Member

Actually the whole sentence could be Latin, except for santissima, which sould be sanctissima... Maybe it's either Late Latin or Old Italian... Just a conjecture!
  7. IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    México Lindo y Querido - Español

Sin menospreciar las respuestas de los demás, sería el equivalente a PULCRÍSIMA en español.
  8. Herodiades Senior Member

México, spanish
    IBR, creo que estás confundido, las anteriores traducciones son correctas. Pulcra no es la traducción de pulcher. Pulcher, pulchra, pulchrum significa "bello", y pulcherrima es el superlativo de este adjetivo.
  9. Spectre scolaire Senior Member

Moving around, p.t. Turkey
    Maltese and Russian

The notion of elative could come in handy in this case. Latin pulcherrimus (m.) means not only “greatest” (superlative) but also “very great”, “great in an outstanding degree”. In Finno-Ugric languages ‘elative’ is a noun case meaning ‘out of’.

‘Elative’ is also a grammatical category in Arabic. If an Arab man says “I love her very much, I love her too much”, the latter elation – a solecism in English - is just an indication that in Arabic ‘comparative’ and ‘superlative’ have merged into one form: ‘elative’.

I think ‘absolute superlative’ would be the most common equivalent of ‘elative’ in Latin grammars.
  10. Fernando Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    "Pulquérrima" in Spanish has the same meaning as in Latin. Anyhow, it has a tiny, residual use.
  11. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    I am assuming that this is a text referring to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The four adjectives mean "most holy, inviolate, undefiled, most beautiful."
  12. IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México

Thank you, Fernando. Your answer supports my theory that it means pulcrísima in Spanish.

Just look for the Spanish definition for Pulquérrima.

Sin mancha, sin mácula, es el mismo sentido.
  13. Herodiades Senior Member

México, spanish
    Thank you for correcting me about the "superlative". Anyway, I apologize, IBR you're right, this quotation belongs to DREA online:
    pulcro, cra.
    (Del lat. pulcher, pulchra).
    1. adj. Aseado, esmerado, bello, bien parecido.

(My spanish is worse than my latin)

14. IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    Thank you.

I hope my other meaning help increase the scope of the meaning.

With Latin, the idea is what counts the most, besides the meaning.

Greetings to you all.:)
  15. merrigum New Member

I was recently in Western Victoria Australia and a property in that district was called "Pulcherrima" - when questioned, the ownwer said it came from Julius Caesar's summer villa in Tuscany Italy - and it mean't very beautiful seems correct after seeing his location!!