Pull someone's leg

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by dihydrogen monoxide, Jul 25, 2008.

1. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    What would be your equivalent of the idiom/phrase "to pull someone's leg"?
    Does it include a body part in your language or not?
  2. Gusanito77 Member

I think in spanish, at least in Argentina we say, Tomarle el pelo a alguien.In English,literaly ,this is like to drink someone's hair but it doesn't make any sence in this language.
  3. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Tomar can also be translated as to take. In Portuguese we also sometimes say tirar um pêlo de alguém, but I think this is used mainly by older folks.

In Portuguese we have an idiom with puxar (to pull), but it is puxar o saco, to suck up to someone.

Equivalent to pull somebody's leg using a body part is tirar (um sarro) da cara de alguém, roughly to make fun of somebody's face.

I don't know whether these two Portuguese idioms are used outside of Brazil, though.
  4. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    In Italian we say prendere in giro qualcuno. We don't have any equivalent expression that uses a body part.
  5. Russian: морочить кому-л. голову
  6. Estonian:
    sisse vedama, nalja viskama
  7. Nanon

Nanon Senior Member

Entre Paris et Lisbonne
    français (France)
    In French, it has to do with the head:

"se payer la tête de quelqu'un" = to pay for / to buy somebody's head
    and the more vulgar (but frequent) variant "se :warn:foutre de la :warning:gueule de quelqu'un" (see here). "Gueule" means "face".

Note - "foutre" is very rude. But you may hear "tu te fous de ma gueule", "ils se foutent de notre gueule"... very often.
  8. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)

Iemand een kloot aftrekken.
    That's a rather vulgar expression in Dutch with the verb aftrekken (pull off) and a part of the body (kloot, testicle), the meaning of which comes close to the English original.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  9. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    They seem to be specific to Brazil.

I addition to what Jazyk wrote above, in Portuguese there are also a few words that mean "to pull someone's leg", such as brincar and caçoar.

I can't think of any word or phrase with a vulgar connotation.
  10. Dr. Quizá

Dr. Quizá Senior Member

Esuri - Huelva York.
    Spain - Western Andalusian Spanish.
    In Spain we have the expression "quedarse con alguien" (~to keep/stay with somebody").

You're pulling my leg! => ¿Te estás quedando conmigo? (~Are you keeping/staying with me?)
  11. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    In Czech:
    Tahat někoho za nohu (E.g.: Netahej mě za nohu!) means almost the same as in English (work a hype on). (other idiom with this meaning: Udělat si z něj dobrej den...)
    There is other idiom in Czech lg.:
    :warn:Trhni si nohou! (Are you crazy? = Let me be, I'll do nothing for you!)

In Lithuanian:
    Pūsti Arabus;
    Pūsti miglą į akis;
    Kvaršinti galvos
  12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

in Hungarian: ugrat [to make someone skip], so there is some relation to legs :)
  13. djmc Senior Member

English - United Kingdom
    In English as well as saying "You're pulling my leg aren't you" when i think someone is trying to make fun of me or trying to cheat me; I might say "You can pull the other one it"s got bells on".