"pull someone's lever"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by andersxman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. andersxman Senior Member

If someone "pulls my lever", what might they be doing? Would he be "pulling my leg?" "/taking the piss out of me?"
  2. Graham Butler Senior Member

England English
    I've never heard the expression but I guess it might mean that they'd be winding you up = trying to make you annoyed or lose your temper. It's one of those innovative metaphors that one hears, like shaking someone's tree, rattling someone's cage... I suppose you can invent your own image. A lever is used to move something or to create pressure, so this metaphor does make some sort of sense. It doesn't do much for me though.
  3. andersxman Senior Member

Well, as you may have noticed I'm on this rap-song, and actually the speaker is warning someone against pulling he's lever,
    "cuz he'll explode"
    ("and his "nine" is easy to load")
  4. Graham Butler Senior Member

England English
    Well, good luck with your rap. In this context it certainly must mean don't wind him up because he'll explode with rage if you do.
    (I'm afraid I can't help you with loading a nine, unless he's got a 9mm. automatic pistol, something like that?)
  5. maxiogee Banned

andersxman, as I said elsewhere, this is not the best place to ask about modern slang. By the time we get to know of the meanings of slang words they've gone cold!
    We're also not great on song lyrics or poetic use of regular words. Add slang to the mix and we really don't have much to say which could be of deep insight!
  6. andersxman Senior Member

Ok, point taken
  7. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    I have never heard this expression either, but it sounds very similar to one we have that is "push somebody's button." It's meaning is similar to what has been posted here. We often use it in the sense "He really knows how to push her button" meaning he knows how to manipulate her, just what to say or do to make her mad or upset.
  8. freelancer Junior Member

I think this is borrowed from a slang of another culture
    As far as I know the lever means patience.
    The best way is to look at the lyrics and see the over all meaning then the intention of using that phrase can be extracted
  9. languageGuy Senior Member

Kansas City, MO
    USA and English
    This to me is all about sex. lever = penis.
  10. ewhite

ewhite Senior Member

Given the subesequent lines about "exploding" and "easy to load" this does strike me as a sexual-prowess metaphor.
  11. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    By the way, a TRIGGER is basically a LEVER, making for a metaphor of a loaded gun (him) with an easily loaded gun (in his hand).
  12. Luke E New Member

A "nine" is a type of handgun.