Pull up Vs Pull over

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by gojuca, Mar 30, 2007.

1. gojuca Junior Member

Colombia )Spanish)

I have a big problem with these two phrasal Verbs. Im a bit confused because I don´t know if them are interchangeables or they have a different meaning. Can someone help me to understand the diffences between them???? For example in the following example, are both interchangeables???

A taxi pulled up /// pulled over just as I came out

Last, could you give me some examples in order to understand the difference???

Thanks in advance

Ps: Please correct my written mistakes!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  2. JillN Senior Member

USA - English
    Well in that example, "pulled up" would just mean the taxi stopped by you. "Pulled over" would have the added meaning that the taxi came to the side of the road to stop by you. Obviously in the first case the taxi stopped at the side of the road too, but perhaps it was already in that lane.

That said, there is little difference in this situation and they would be interchangeable here and probably in most cases.
  3. gojuca Junior Member

Colombia )Spanish)
    Thanks JiLLN, But ...... anyone else can help me out????
  4. turtlehead Junior Member

West Virginia, United States of America
    United States of America, American English
    Es perfecto lo que dijo JiLLN.
  5. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Quizás algunos ejemplos para ilustrar.
    - The driver pulled up to the gas pump.
    - The bus pulled slowly up to the waiting passengers. Forward motion

- The car pulled over onto the shoulder.
    - The police pulled that speeder over. [stopped the driver and made him/her drive off to the side of the road] Sideways motion
  6. sevillista

sevillista Senior Member

I have the same problem as Gojuca. Right now I´m watching a TV soap where a woman in a taxi says to the driver: "please, pull over" (she wants to get out of the taxi). Could she have said "please, pull up"?

P.S. What does "the car pulled over onto the shoulder" mean? I can´t figure out what shoulder has to do here.
  7. SydLexia Senior Member

UK, English
    The "shoulder" of the road is the "arcen" or "bordillo".

It makes more sense to say "pull over" as it makes it obvious you want the driver to stop quickly and safely by the side of the road.

8. sevillista

sevillista Senior Member

Oh, I thought "bordillo" was kerb, I didn´t know this version.

I´ll try to remember the forward/sideways motion stuff, but that´s not easy :-(.
  9. SydLexia Senior Member

UK, English
    Yes, it's really "arcen".