1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Punjabi: What is a Parandha

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by bakshink, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    This thread is linked here http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1330360

Long hair are considered an asset in women.
    In old times when wigs were not invented a cord faishoned out of cotton strands was woven with the braid to give deception of their length and to keep them secured.

Later it became a sort of style statement (something like a song about the popularity of Jeans in 70s.....I am alive, I am alive I wear my Levis with pride) and in place of it being of a deceptive black colour it started being made in bright colours with fancy tassles at ends to give the hair a decorative or ornamental enhancement. There is a Punjabi song " Kali teri gut te parandha tera lal nee... Hey girl your braid is black and the cord (to tie it with) is red in colour.

The old humble small string for camouflage was called Prandhi and the big ornamental piece for ostentation and show off, hanging at the backs and swaying with gait, like a snake became popular as Prandha.

Now with long hair themselves becoming unfaishonable Prandha too is getting lost in history.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I only know it from this song, though I believe my mother and sister both own some. What exactly is your query? I believe it's that fake hair that is interwoven between the pleats of a girl's braid.

What is this called in Hindi/Urdu?

3. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    I have always heard it as paraundha, with a rounding of the second vowels. Is that a regional thing, or my mistake?

Also, I think we add eyeliner to highlight eyes, jewellery to enhance beauty, etc. It is just a beauty enhancement, maybe not meant to fool anyone into thinking the wearer has longer hair, just to enhance the natural braid and make it sparkly.

4. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    Dear PG
    I haven't asked anything in the thread. It's just a continuation of discussion on this subject being carried on fom the thread "Dried methhi ".

Dear Icfatima,
    We call it Prandha. Even in the song I have mentioned above the word spoken is Prandha. Praundha may be a regional variation like.

Some people call Prantha and others Prauntha ( Punjabi fried chappatee like bread).

5. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Oh so its what you might call maSnoo3ii zulfai.n if a cultural word hadn't existed. I believe I've seen some once.

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Good question PG! I'm not sure if we have a word of ours for this.

I've always wondered why we Hindi- / Urduphones never had the need to invent a word for this. Or did they (our ladies) never need it?

I know in Pakistan, <paraandaa / paraandha> are used, but that is Punjabi influence on the Urduphones there!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

chuTiilaa

8. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Did you just misspell chuTiyaa-braid?

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

No, it was not a typo. My understanding is that "chuTiyaa" would be the Punjabi "gut" whereas "chuTiilaa" is the 'paraaNdaa".

10. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Is "chuTiyaa" another word for "choTii"?

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Jaanaab-e-waalaa, in Urdu there are two meanings of چٹیلا that I am aware of. One is pronounced chaTiilaa (here)and the other is chuTiilaa which comes from چوٹ = hurt. So both چٹیلا chuTiilaa and چٹیل chuTiil mean چوٹ \ زخم كھا یا ہوا = one who has been hurt / wounded etc.

The other way we use it is as a compound term referring to the manner in which hair is braided چٹیلا پن chuTiilaa pan!

So unless this chuTiilaa you refer to also now means a parandha in a desperate attempt to fill a gap in Urdu, then I can only say the word چٹیلا chuTiilaa means as above and we don't have a traditional Urdu word for parandha. In fact, most of us use parandha anyway!

Yes, muHataramii PG! Actually chuTiyaa is a diminutive of choTi. When girls / women have less / too little hair to make a healthy looking choTii their sparsely braided hair make a thin choTii called a chuTiyaa!

12. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Yes gator, and I'd imagine it's a dimunitive chooTii, as chooTii-lette as it were.

13. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Wonderful. Good to know.

14. Qureshpor Senior Member

Yes, this is exactly my understanding that as well as the Punjabi paraandaa, chuTiilaa is used for the same object by Urdu speakers. As for the alleged desperation in filling a gap, I can not comment

15. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Sorry which Urdu speakers are we talking about? The current generation, and in Pakistan?

I guess many Urdu speakers now have no inkling of the original meaning of
    چٹیلا chuTiilaa which has nothing to do with either a choTii or a parandha!

16. Qureshpor Senior Member