puntacion correcta de una cita dentro de otra cita

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ween, Dec 23, 2010.

1. ween New Member

English - USA
    Buenos dias a todos.
    ¿Cuál será la puntuación correcta de una cita dentro de otra cita? En inglés, por ejemplo, usamos "According to Shakespeare, Macbeth declares, 'Life is but a stage.'"
    Gracias por su atención.
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    You have a number of problems here, not the least of which is that, at least according to Wikipedia, "All the world's a stage" is from As You Like It, not Macbeth.

Secondly, we normally would not use "according to" when referring to a work of fiction, but rather somebody purporting to relate a fact. (see sample above)

It seems that you are asking about third-party direct quotations, which, I would punctuate as:

According to the New York Times, Julian Assange said: “I never heard of the name Bradley Manning before it appeared in the media,” in an interview on MSNBC on Wednesday.

(This is a real example)
  3. dexterciyo

dexterciyo Senior Member

Español - Canarias
    «Juan me dijo: "Ten cuidado con ella". Al día siguiente vi a Elena en el mercado».
  4. ween New Member

English - USA
    Thank you for taking the time to reply with such attention to the details of my post; however, I had hoped to learn how such a quotation would be punctuated in Spainsh, not English.
    Your reply inspires confidence in the accuracy and correctness of this site and its contributors. I'm sorry if my request was unclear. Thank you, again.
  5. ween New Member

English - USA
    Muchas gracias! Feliz Navidad y prospero ano nuevo a Ud! Me ha dado un regalo! Tratare de ayudar a otra persona con un problema en ingles!
  6. I have seen quotations punctuated thus:

«La próxima vez - dije -, no necesitas ayudarme. »
  7. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hola Ween:

No te preocupes, te expresaste bien. Mira lo que sobre este tema nos dice el Diccionario Panhispánico de Dudas:
    Un saludo,