1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

punto blanco

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Conquistadores, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Conquistadores

Conquistadores Senior Member

Spanish - Perú
    Dear all,

Do you know the English term for "punto blanco" (Peruvian Spanish) when an environmental monitoring is conducted? The term refers to a point/area that has not been contaminated or polluted (and a sample is taken for analysis).

Thank you!

2. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian, Italy
    Hi Conquistadores!

My suggestion is as follows:

"punto blanco" = "control station".

Bye,

Benzene

3. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I would call a sample site in an unaffected area a "control site" or "reference site." "Station" maybe if there are monitoring instruments there all the time, especially if the data is transmitted automatically.

4. Conquistadores

Conquistadores Senior Member

Spanish - Perú
    Dear all,

Thank for your reply. Indeed, "station" refers to the place where all the monitoring instruments are. I have also asked a colleague and we both agree that "control point" or "reference point" suits best. Since it seems that this term is only used in Peru (probably nowhere else in Latin America) I have decided to translate it as "white" control point and put a footnote explaining that. I then asked the author of this document, an engineer, and agreed with my version. Thank you!

5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

"White" control point? Why?! I would think "blanco" here means "blank," or maybe "target," but not "white."

6. epinilla64 Junior Member

Badajoz, España
    Español, España
    Coincido con k-in-sc en que "white" es inapropiado. Creo que es preferible "blank" o "reference". Y por otra parte, creo que es preferible "area", más que "point", ya que en los estudios de monitorización ambiental suelen delimitarse zonas más o menos amplias con características propias, en las que se eligen posteriormente puntos de muestreo representativos de esas características. Saludos.

7. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

To me, places where samples are collected are "sites."
    This is not the first time I have seen a Spanish speaker translate "blanco" simply as "white" instead of one of its other meanings in English.