Punto o coma decimal: Number 11,37 / 11.37 (Decimal Point / Comma)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Olsonbc, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Olsonbc New Member

English, USA
    You know how in Spanish you use a decimal point for thousands (i.e. 11.000 instead of 11,000). Does that mean when you are using decimals you use a comma instead of a decimal point (i.e. 11,37 instead of 11.37)? Thanks.
  2. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

In Spanish, Italian, and some other languages we use a point for thousands, and a comma for decimals, that is: 1.234.567,89

Para la utilización internacional del euro (moneda europea)
    Por ejemplo, en el locale francés, el separador de miles es un espacio y el separador de decimales es una coma. Sin embargo, la norma internacional para el separador de miles de la eurodivisa es un punto. Un usuario que tenga la categoría de locale LC_MONETARY definida en fr_FR.iso885915@euro verá lo siguiente:
    • La cantidad mil quinientos cincuenta con cincuenta se muestra fuera de la zona monetaria así: 1 550,50.
    • Mil quinientos cincuenta euros con cincuenta cent se muestra así: EUR 1.550,50.
  3. Maeron Senior Member

Mexico City
    Canada, English
    It doesn't depend on the language, but on the country. Some Spanish-speaking countries use a dot for the decimal point, and some use a comma. See this website for a complete list of dot and comma countries.

Summary (Spanish-speaking countries):
    Dot countries: Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, United States (including Puerto Rico).

Comma countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Cuba, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, Uruguay, Venezuela.

English-speaking countries:
    Dot countries: Australia, Canada (English-speaking), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States.

Comma countries: South Africa.
  4. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

You are right Maeron, I should have said Spain and the European Community.
  5. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México - Español/Castellano
    However, just a note of caution about México:

In day-to-day operations, we use a decimal period or dot. BUT, the legislation regarding labels and marking states that we should use a decimal comma, following the International System of Measurement Units.

So, depending on what you look at you will find both. You'll find that the price for a drill is $350.00 pesos, but that the electrical specifications state: 12,7 A.

Puzzling, right?
  6. RushHourOfBabel

RushHourOfBabel Senior Member

English - Canada
    So, if I want to make a number in the thousands understandable to an international Spanish-speaking audience should I just put a space?

"5 694 médicos"

Gracias de antemano!
  7. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi, RUhsHourOfBabel,

No, within four-digit amounts, you need no space; just like we write a year in a date. A space (defining three-digit maximum groups) should be used indeed in numbers longer than four digits. Dots or commas according to each Spanish speaking country are no longer normative.