1. sphinxrac New Member

English
    I want to know the meaning of "punyeta". Some of the Filipinos are using this word as an expression if they are mad or irritated. I think it is a Spanish word. (Long time the Philippines was colonized by Spaniards.)Please let me know where it originated, what does it exactly mean.... Thank you.

2. Marxelo

Marxelo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Castellano Rioplatense
    Quizás se refieran a puñeta.

3. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob et modérateur aussi

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    I concur with Marxelo, it is "puñeta".

Regards.

4. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    Sí, puñeta.

patin

5. suso26

suso26 Senior Member

Spanish México.
    Definitivamente eso Puñeta, pero aquí en México eso significa algo mas vulgar. :D

6. Noamoxkaltontli

Noamoxkaltontli Senior Member

Northern Mexico
    Spanish - Mexico
    De hecho eso también esta incluido en la definición de la RAE :p

7. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Welcome, sphinxrac
    There is an expression: "mandarle (a alguien) a hacer puñetas", which is like sending them to sweep all the sand off the beach or do some other tedious, never-ending task. So it's basically the same as saying "go to hell."
    "Puñetas" were the pleats in the cuffs worn by Spaniards around the 1500s and 1600s. They took many hours of carefull, tedious work to make.
    Here's the DRAE:
    puñeta.

1. f. Encaje o vuelillo de algunos puños.

2. f. Pejiguera, dificultad, molestia.

a hacer ~s.

1. loc. adv. coloq. U. para desechar algo, o para despedir a alguien, despectivamente o sin miramientos. Mandar a hacer puñetas. Vete, anda a hacer puñetas.

2. loc. adv. coloq. U. para manifestar que algo se ha estropeado o que un asunto ha fracasado. El televisor SE HA IDO a hacer puñetas. Mi ascenso SE FUE a hacer puñetas.

Here in WordReference:
    http://www.wordreference.com/definicion/pu%F1eta

8. sphinxrac New Member

English
    Thank you for all those who replied. At least somehow, it answered my curiosity. I just hope there will be more English explanations, because I really don't speak & understand Spanish. Sorry also coz i don't know how to make "enye" in my laptop. It's really spelled like "pu-enye-e-ta". thanks again.

9. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    I see know!

Well I use "puñeta" or "puña" all the time, just as an expression like "Oh gosh" "My goodness", to me does not have a exact meaning just an expression maybe that's why you can't really find it, they probably use it in the same way.

Note: you may do the ñ by pressing Alt # and 164 in a synchronized way.

patin

10. bluethumb New Member

Pilipino
    With due respect to Patin, to type ñ in Microsoft Word press simultaneously "Control Key or Ctri", "Shift Key" and "~ Key", then press "N key" for capital ñ or "n Key" for ñ.

11. traveleric New Member

English
    Punyeta is use like Damn or fuck in Tagalog.

12. ptak30

ptak30 Senior Member

In GB "Vete a hacer puñetas" -> "Bugger off"
    You can do the ñ with ALT and 0241 on the keypad at a pinch.

13. Michaelo112 New Member

Catalan
    Estais todos equivocados. Es punyeta (con 'ny'), y la manera de escribirla no es espanol (obviamente), sino en Catalan (o valenciano o balear, que es lo mismo). Los catalanes tambien estaban en Filipinas, y el espanol no es nuestra lengua. De aqui que los Filipinos utilicen la palabra con grafia Catalana. Asi que ya lo sabes, no tienes que usar ni 'ñ' ni gaitas.

14. Michaelo112 New Member

Catalan
    Translation to English: You are all wrong. It is punyeta (with 'ny'), and you do not write it like in Spanish (obviously), but in Catalan (o valencian o balearic, which is the same). Catalans were also in the Philipines, and Spanish is not our mother tongue. That is why the Philipinos still use the word written as in Catalan. So, here you have it. No need to use 'ñ'. That is bullshit.