1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

purveyor

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by beloue, Apr 26, 2009.

1. beloue Senior Member

Italy
    Albanian
    Hello,
    I would appreciate anything for: Television is among the worst purveyors of grammatical crime, other than:
    La televisione e' tra i piu' pericolosi attentatori della grammatica.
    La televisione e' dove piu' abbonda il delitto grammaticale.
    La televisione e' tra le fonti primarie del delitto grammaticale.
    La televisione e' promulgatrice principale del crimine grammaticale.
    Can't think of nothing less weird and funny :DDD
    Corrections are welcome!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. jeffc418 Senior Member

English
    Ciao! Wonderful sentence :D La televisione promuove delitto grammaticale in una maniera più peggiore. That's il mio tentativo for now, I cannot guarantee it's accuracy. But my favorite of yours is the third. And I can tell from your English that it's flawless and you're writing colloquially, but technically your last sentence "Can't think of nothing less weird and funny" is a double-negative, making the sentence backwards :p I'm curious to see what we can come up with for this sentence!

3. beloue Senior Member

Italy
    Albanian
    Thank you jeffc418,
    Yes, I should have used anything...:)
    Shouldn't you say La televisione promuove il delitto grammaticale in una maniera peggiore/pessima ?
    Peggiore is the comparative form of cattivo, so you don't need piu' as well.
    I like the first part of your translation, while the second part doesn't fit well I guess.
    The literal translation conveys a paradoxal situation in Italian, worst has to be best because television is tra i migliori promotori del delitto grammaticale.
    :(???

4. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    You can also say 'la televisione per prima attenta alla grammatica', or 'la televisione commette i/è responsabile dei peggiori crimini contro la grammatica'. :);)

5. beloue Senior Member

Italy
    Albanian
    "la televisione commette i/è responsabile dei peggiori crimini contro la grammatica"
    Thank you Necsus, so simple and so perfect!