1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pushta

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by vincenthsu, Aug 12, 2010.

1. vincenthsu Junior Member

chinese
    guys
    What does it mean by pushta!(my pushta)

2. Bântuit

Bântuit Senior Member

3. vincenthsu Junior Member

chinese
    sorry man,i don't think that's the right meaning for pushta because the word obviously refers to a kind of person from it's context.
    still thanks a lot!!!!

4. hersko1 Senior Member

Paris - France
    French - France
    Hi Vincenthsu,
    Could you give the context ? I'm rather lost with this only word.

5. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hello,

Welcome to the Romanian forum. :)

You asked us a question that's nearly impossible to answer, because the word doesn't exist in Romanian (or English, except for the meaning mentioned by Bântuit)... at least not spelled like that. :confused:

Please give us the sentence where this word was used, and the general context (who's speaking/writing? Is the person a teenager, an older person? Is s/he a Romanian native speaker? Where did you find it? Is it from a blog or a social networking site?)

6. OakBloodThree New Member

English - US Midwest
    vincenthsu,

Did you by chance just see the movie "Ondine"?

I was looking for this word myself after seeing it in the film. In it, the female lead character refers to a male character (a drug dealer who is chasing her) as her "pushta". Both characters are supposed to be Romanian. "Pushta" was the spelling used on the closed captioning of the DVD, but may just be phonetic.

7. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Romanian puști means child, but pushta I don't know. It reminds me of some Slavic languages' empty, void, abandoned.

8. cat_red_sky

cat_red_sky New Member

Bucharest
    romanian
    PUŞTÁN, puştani, s.m. (Fam.) Băieţandru. – Puşti + suf. -an.

9. ancuta2012 New Member

Romanian
    I just came across this "word" in the movie "Ondine." I may be completely wrong -- none of the Romanian references in the movie seem well documented at all. But my first thought was that it could be a misspelling and miss-pronunciation of the word "peste" (to be read "peshte"), which in Romanian means "fish," but which is also the common slang term for "pimp." Makes sense in the context...

10. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    I watched the movie the other day and I'm pretty sure it's the Romanian slang for pimp, "peşte". The whole Romanian connection is rather dubious and the proper understanding of the word is essential to put things in context, but it's also repeated in English...

Later,