1. metamorfosis

metamorfosis Member

I have a doubt about how to use the verb to put across in the following context:

Sentence ...Quiero daros una explicación sobre......

My try......... I want to put you across about.........

My doubt is because to put across sb means engañar and I want to express my explanation

Thanks in advance
  2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    You would say "I would like to put across to you an explanation about..." -- but we wouldn't say that. It's better to stick with "I'd like to give you an explanation..."

"Put across" doesn't usually translate as engañar. It's much more neutral.
  3. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    For "put across", I found this definition online: "communicate [something] successfully".
    The direct object is the idea that is communicated, not a person. You can put across a certain message, or you can put the message across.
    The C.O.C.A. gives 46 examples of "put across" (with "message" a frequent object, and including an occasional example with physical meaning, like a bandage put across a wound),
    but only one instance of "put across to"—
    supporting my intuition that "put across" is usually more interested in the direct object (the message to be communicated)
    than in the indirect object (the person to whom the message is communicated).
    I don't know of any connection with the meaning of "engañar".
    I would support Chris K's advice with "to give you an explanation".
  4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I'm guessing that it's a UK thing. The Free Dictionary has:

put across
    1. To state so as to be understood clearly or accepted readily: put her views across during the hearing.
    2. To attain or carry through by deceit or trickery.

But I don't ever recall hearing it used in the second sense.
  5. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    In a websearch, I do find a few examples of "put across a scam" and "put across a hoax", but the "engaño" meaning resides in the direct object word.
  6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Exactly. As a Brit, I'm also totally unfamiliar with "put across" as an expression that suggests "engaño" by itself.
  7. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I can't blame it on you, then!

In the US we do have phrases like "put something over on someone," but "put across" as engañar just doesn't feel right. Nor does it feel right as "convey something"; we'd say "get something across."