Put somebody in the wrong

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silverobama, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    I got a phrase, but let me make a sentence for it.

What the hell are you trying to say? You mean I broke the window? Why do you put me in the wrong?

This is a phrase I got from my notebook, which has the same meaning(if it makes sense) as the sentence "Why don't you do me right", does it sound reasonable to you?

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I think "Why do you put me in the wrong?" says "Why are you accusing me?" or "Why do you blame me?"

3. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Hello OWL, perhaps I didn't put it clearly here once more, "accuse" or "blame" are both very good words, as far as I am concorned, but here I want to say that "someone blame you by ignoring what happens", Let me give you a very specific example which happened when I was in high school.

I helped my classmate to pick up his pen during a math class, he dropped his pen on my leg but he can't reach while I can offer him a help, then I did it. After it he extended his hand, feeling inclined to shake hands with me, I gave my hand to him subconsciously then that moment was captured by the math teacher, she ordered me to stay outside the classroom. Since it was several months before the college entrance exam, before the math class the head teacher called me to his office for a talk. But unluckily enough, as soon as I was ordered out, he saw me staying outside the classroom, he ran to me filled with rage and shouted at me, "Is there anything wrong with your brain, you are insane"?
    He didn't know the reason for me to stand outside the classroom is just for picking the pen for my classmate, can I say "Why do you put me in the wrong"?
    He didn't know what happened then judge what happened subjectively, in my humble opinion, is the distinction from the two given words"blame" and "accuse"

4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Oh. Here I would say "Why did you let me take the blame?" You could also say "Why did you look the other way when I was in trouble?" Both of these things mean that somebody pretended that you were the guilty party when you weren't. It's a pretty sneaky thing to do, if you ask me.

5. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Hello OWL, thank you very much, like what you told me, did you mean that you won't use "Put somebody in the wrong" in daily conversation or maybe never use it?

6. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I think I've heard the expression, but not very often. I use "Don't let me take the blame" or "Don't look the other way when I need you". Also: "Don't try to look innocent".

7. Silverobama

Chongqing
    "Don't look the other way when I need you" can I say this is a sentence also could be put as "Don't look the other way when I need your help"?
    "Don't try to look innocent" how to understand?

Sorry Owl, keep bothering you

8. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    You're not bothering me at all, Silverobama. "Don't look the other way when I need you" = "Don't look the other way when I need your help".

Don't try to look innocent = Don't pretend that this is not your fault.

9. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Thank you, I got "look the other way" on dictionary, before I guess it might not be a idiom but it turns out to one, thanks

10. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I'm having a hard time thinking of a clear example, but that is not quite how we use the idiom ~ or I may be misunderstanding you. We use "put you in the wrong" if someone misinterprets an action, or if a situation makes you look guilty when you are not.

Your examples are close, but not quite what I'd expect.
    Suppose the other student had asked you to get his pen, and the teacher saw you give it back and asked what the two of you were doing. If the other student said "Silverobama is bothering me", he would be "putting you in the wrong".

Or suppose the teacher asked you why you were standing outside of the room and you started to explain that the other student had dropped his pen. If the teacher interrupted you and said "You are always blaming someone else", he would be "putting you in the wrong".

11. Silverobama

Chongqing
    The teacher who shouted at me wasn't the math teacher, he came to me by shouting those filthy and vulgar SiChuan dialects, he didn't ask the reason why I stood outside the classroom then abused maliciously, so I say "He put me in the wrong" or "He didn't do me right"!

12. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I would say that "He shouted at me for no reason" or "He did me wrong".

13. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Do you never use or hear the idiom "put me/him in the wrong"?

("Did me wrong" has an entirely different meaning for me.)

14. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Not when somebody is shouting at me for no reason. Silverobama has begun refining just who it is that he's talking about. It turns out to be a teacher who shouted at him for no good reason. When I hear "He put me in the wrong", I think it means "He set me up", or "He framed me". When I say "He did me wrong", I just mean "He treated me badly." I would also use it to say "He cheated me".

15. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    In this case, I agree with owlman that "put me in the wrong" isn't what I'd say. (Nor would I say "he did me wrong", but that's another thread.)

My examples were intended to show when I might use the idiom "put me in the wrong".

16. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Hello Cagey, thank you very much, would you mind creating a simple context for the idiom "Put somebody in the wrong"