1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Put the cheese on the cracker

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sergiofreeman, Apr 28, 2010.

1. sergiofreeman

sergiofreeman Senior Member

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    I would like knowing the meaning of this expression.

thanks in advance.

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Please give us the context in which you saw this, including a complete sentence. Not only do we need this to give you a reliable answer, but the rules require it. ;)

3. sergiofreeman

sergiofreeman Senior Member

Miami Florida
    Spanish
    It was a phrase a friend gave me to look it up, He heard it on the radio listening to rush limbaugh, Ok, sorry, next time I'm going to include the context, by the way, I was talking with a friend about this subject, contexts are very importante in english language, I think more than in Spanish.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    OK. Here's some context for us. It's a comment on Pajamas Media, a conservative political blog. The writer is praising the author of a featured opinion piece:
    Melissa, great article. You “put the cheese on the cracker”(!) regarding the Reps and the Dems. This is an elitist, power hungry oligarchy that is ruling us and they deserve their comeuppance. Thanks for your direct, cogency.
    Here is another example, regarding a completely different subject, but this one seems to make the meaning clear. From Avian Avenue, a forum about birds.
    I just wanted to thank you so much for this post. All these years, I have been aware of the controversy and opinions. Yet, never once did I put it together. Never once, did I put the cheese on the cracker - although the information was right in front of my face! [She has just realized that her parrot has hormonal problems.]
    To "put the cheese on the cracker" apparently means "to put the facts together and interpret them correctly."

5. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    From Cagey's "apparently" (post #4), I take it that this expression is not a set expression in the USA.

I've never come across this expression in the UK.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010