1. danithan New Member

English
    Sorry to be vulgar, but I'm trying to figure out a word that I've heard and am trying to use in a story. The word sounds like 'putaña' or 'putania'. I know it comes from the word 'puta' with a diminutive added to it... at least, I think. So, in English, it means something like, "little whore," or something. Does anyone know the correct spelling of it? Am I even close with the two spellings I've tried here?

Thanks for the help. And, please excuse the vulgarity.

2. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob Moderator

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
  3. SDLX Master

SDLX Master Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Spanish - Peru
    That's not diminutive. It is actually derogatory.

4. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob Moderator

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    diminutivo, va.
    (Del lat. diminutīvus).

1. adj. Que tiene cualidad de disminuir o reducir a menos algo.
    2. adj. Gram. Dicho de un sufijo: Que denota disminución de tamaño en el objeto designado, p. ej., en piedrecilla, o que lo presenta con intención emotiva o apelativa, p. ej., en ¡Qué nochecita más atroz! Una limosnita. Se usa también con adjetivos y adverbios con significación intensiva; p. ej., ahorita, cerquita, pequeñín.
    3. m. Gram. Palabra formada con sufijos diminutivos.
    http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=diminutivo
    Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

"Putita" is derogatory and diminutive.

Saludos, SDLX.

5. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    What kind of word is it (a noun, a verb...)?

The closest word to the one you describe is "putañear" (which may sound like "putañiar"), an informal verb meaning "to have sex with prostitutes"; the adjective is "putañero" (which of course is always masculine, since "puta" and "puto" don´t share meaning.)

Saludos.