"putted" or " put" ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hamid1957, Jul 5, 2011.

1. hamid1957 New Member

IRAN
    persian
    Hello ,
    We know PP of the verb " put " is " put " also . So , why some people use " putted" as PP of the verb of " put " . For instance they say , " ... which will be putted in ... "

2. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

I have never seen anyone use putted for PP of put. Putted/Putt is a term in golf. Or the car putted about town. If you saw it, the person was most likely not a native speaker.

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Please be sure to give us complete sentences in the future -- it makes it easier to give you a good answer. In this case, we don't know if your example refers to someone who has just putted his golf ball into the cup.

In general, it's useful to remember that people make grammatical mistakes in every language, including English and Persian. :)

4. ribran

ribran Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - American
    "Putted" is perfectly valid as the past participle of the verb to putt.

The ball was putted into the hole. :tick:

BUT

He has putted the crackers back in the cabinet. :confused:

EDIT: Like pops, I am fairly certain I have never heard an American say something like this.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Hamid!

You are correct about the verb put. If you saw "putted", either the use was wrong OR the person was using a different verb, putt. We can't tell without any context.

That's why the forum rules require that you give us the full sentence in which you saw the word or phrase you're asking about, tell us your source, and also provide a little background, the situation in which the sentence occurred. Then, we'll be able to answer your question.

So please give us that information.

6. hamid1957 New Member

IRAN
    persian
    Thanks indeed. I know "putted " is a term in golf play ( I have seen it in dictionary ) . But , if you refer to google search , you will find lots of phrases of the people that they have used " putted" as PP of the verb of " put " as its normal meaning ( place in a particular position ).

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Google just picks up what has been used by people all over the world (often repeating what other people have used). It doesn't care whether or not it's proper English (or any other language).

8. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

Well, I did Google as I was skeptical. I found putted only in forums asking the same question you have about the verb put. Like Parla says, Google is not a dictionary and only is a mirror of what is out there being said/done wrong or right.

9. ribran

ribran Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - American
    Perhaps it's common in some English-speaking country. Who knows?

Puttin' putted where you should 'ave putten put is never a good thing.