1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

putting "meanwhile" at the end of a sentence

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JBPARK, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JBPARK Senior Member

It's shameful that the immunization process is taking this long, and it's my baby who has to suffer from it meanwhile.

Dear Veterans,

Regarding the above sentence I wrote, I want to know if I used "meanwhile" correctly.
    When I read it over, it sounds a bit awkward but I don't know how I should fix it.
    Should "meanwhile" be moved somewhere else, or should the word be replaced by a more suitable word or phrase?

I would appreciate any tips or pointers.

Thank.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I would use in the meantime, not meanwhile. And drop "from it."

It's shameful that the immunization process is taking this long, and it's my baby who has to suffer in the meantime.
    It's shameful that the immunization process is taking this long, and in the meantime it's my baby who has to suffer.

3. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Yes, I think you should move it.
    'It's shameful that the immunization process is taking this long, and meanwhile, it's my baby who has to suffer from it.'
    'It's shameful that the immunization process is taking this long, and it's my baby who has to suffer from it in the meantime.' (Cross-posted)
    ADDED: I've added comma in red ... I'm not sure that everyone would.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Cross-posted but good use and position of "meanwhile," which I discarded altogether. :)

5. JBPARK Senior Member

Those sentences look pretty.

Thank you so much.