qué hora son mi corazón

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by morgantheplant, Jul 8, 2007.

1. morgantheplant New Member

California - English
    What's the literal translation of "Que hora son mi corazon" from the Manu Chao song La Primavera?

2. Iararo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    What time is it, my heart?

3. morgantheplant New Member

California - English
    Then why isn't it "qué hora es mi corazón"?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  4. rdrodri Junior Member

Memphis, TN
    Puerto Rico, Spanish
    I think that it is because an assimilation occurs. It should be "qué horas son, mi corazón" but in spoken Spanish, when you have two consecutive words in which one ends with one letter and the other begins with the same one, a fusion of both sounds takes place. In this case, you assimilate the two s's and end up pronouncing just one, thus it can sound like "que hora son". So, you're correct. It should be "qué hora es" or "qué horas son". Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  5. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    "Qué horas son" is the wrong way to ask it, but it's quite common in very colloquial language, maybe more typically associated with less-educated people.
    I think they say it like that in the song just to make it rhyme with "corazón".

6. silvester

silvester Senior Member

USA
    Mexico, spanish
    Hello,
    So the translation would be: What time is it, sweetheart/my love.

7. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    ^ Exactly :)

8. AmyinNoCal New Member

English
    I was taught that "Qué horas son" (not "Qué hora son") is perfectly correct. (Is it more Mexicano perhaps? That's the kind of Spanish I've learned the most.) After all, the answer is almost always "Son las . . . ," rarely "Es la . . . "

Not only does it rhyme with "corazón" this way, but since the song begins by asking about the time all over the world, the plural has another meaning to my ears: what are the many times it is right now?