1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Qué tal / Cómo estás

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Ariel, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Ariel Junior Member

España
    Hola! me gustaría saber que otras formas hay de decir en inglés :"¿Qué tal? o ¿Cómo estás?" en uso coloquial aparte de "How are you?"

Gracias a todos!

2. Kimmy81 Junior Member

Poland
    Korean
    Hola Ariel.

Hay muchas formas de decirlo:

- What's up?
    - How's it going?
    - How are you doing?
    - How is everything going?

etc. :)

Kimmy

3. Ariel Junior Member

España
    gracias de nuevo kmmy. tenía muchas dudas sobre ello. me has ayudado mucho

4. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    I got more to add to the list...

-What up doh? (though)
    -'Sup wit ya man?
    -What's crackin?
    -What it do?
    -You alright?
    -What you up to?
    -What's good?

There's a whole lot more that I use....but those are just some of them

5. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

U.S.
    Hm... I'd suggest our friend Ariel not use these options. These are expressions used by people who are interested in hip-hop culture, and they might sound a little odd coming from a foreigner.

6. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Scotland
    Venezuela / Español
    Por los campos verdes de Glasgow se oye:

"right chief?" (please roll the r)

7. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    What do you mean "expressions used by people who are interested in hip-hop culture"? They can be used by ANYONE ANYWHERE....they're are not exclusive to the black community nor to the hip-hop community. They're simply various forms of saying the aforementioned ¿qué tal? ¿Cómo estas? Besides, if you're going to use that type of arguement you should at least know that hip-hop is universal....it's global...most kids living in Spain, Mexico, Cuba already know what's going on in the hip- hop world and they use the same expressions. So it doesn't matter if it sounds "odd" coming from someone else----if someone wanted know what "what up doh" meant they would ask right?

8. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

U.S.
    They say "what up doh" in Cuba and "what's crackin" in Mexico? I've heard "qué onda," but never those. Of course, any music is universal, but in Latin America they would be more likely to listen to Latino rap, which probably wouldn't include phrases like these.

I just thought it should be understood that you can't just walk up to anyone in the United States and say "What it do?" I have heard all of your phrases, but only from people who are into hip-hop. They would sound odd coming from me, so I don't say them. You know what I mean? :) There is no law saying they can't be used by ANYONE, ANYWHERE, they just aren't. The reason is that they are so strongly associated with hip-hop culture that anyone using them sounds like he or she is trying to associate him or herself with that culture.

9. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    Kids our age living in latinoamerica don't only listen to "latino rap" as you called it (it would actually be called reggueton the most popular form right now) they also listen to a lot of American mainstream music much of which is rap/hip hop. Those expressions I mention dont really come from the "hip-hop" community but rather the black community (of which I am a member so I should know a little something about it) and not only that, they come from various places. The expression "what up doh" is said where I'm from, which is Detroit. "what's crackin" is said on the west coast; "what's good" is said on the east coast"

I see what you're saying about whether or not someone will be taken seriously having said those expressions, but the fact remains, they're still the same way of saying what the author of this thread originally requested. So whether or not they have to do with the black community of hip hop is irrelevant; they are expressions used in this country and are as perfectly valid as other forms of "mainstream expression". To suggest otherwise is a travesty.

10. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

U.S.
    Not all African Americans use these expressions. I would say it's mostly those who listen to hip hop, along with other races who listen to hip hop. That's just coming from my personal experience.

They are perfectly valid. I guess I just wanted to clarify the use of these expressions, so Ariel would understand that they aren't used everywhere, all the time. :)

11. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    How's life?
    What's cookin'?
    What are you up to these days?
    - are other suggestions.
    Annette

12. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    ok...but again I would argue that one doesn't have to listen to a word of Hip-hop or rap to say those expressions. The vernacular used is based on where one grows up.

13. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    How are you two getting along?

Annette

14. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    But this sentence means "¿Qué tal os lleváis los dos?", I don't see any relationship with "¿Qué tal?" :eek: :)

15. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

U.S.
    En mí humilde opinión, estas son las aproximaciones de ¿Qué tal? más comunes. Las dice casi todo el mundo salvo las personas más formales.

16. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

U.S.
    That's probably true-- it's a very regional thing. But I guess that's also part of my point. I hope I never gave the impression that I consider these expressions invalid, I just think they are very "audience specific." For more on these expressions and similar ones, see http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=41198 in the English only forum. :)

Kimmy's suggestions cover a very broad range of English speakers. For example, you could go to someone who says "What's crackin," and say to them "What's up," and that will be fine. You could also say "what's up" to people who never say "what's crackin." So I think Kimmy's ideas are good advice for someone learning English.

17. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    lol yea ur right. But seriously, do you think if I went up to someone (native speark from US) and said to them "what's crackin" they wouldn't be able to understand what im asking? or if I said "what's good man?" Obviously, (unless the person is a social invalid of some kind) the person would infer that "hey this person is saying 'what's up?'" and not be completely clueless as to what is being said de acuerdo?

18. El Caribeño Senior Member

Huntsville, AL, EEUU
    Trinidad y Tobago/Inglés
    There's nothing wrong with foreigners learning phrases like "what's good," "what's the deal," "what it do," "what it be like," etc if only to be able to recognize them when heard down the line. But there are MANY English speakers, regardless of race or background, who don't know the meaning of these phrases, so these should be used sparingly (unless, of course, your audience has already addressed you with a similar phrase, in which case you could whop 'em one back to show you're on top of your lingo.)

¿Podría alguien darme unas frases similares en español, como "que hubo," "que tranza," "que hay," "que onda," etc?

19. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    No-no, it was just a sort of joke..I thought you'd find it funny. I meant the two of YOU, chatting along on-line here. But sure, you could say how are you getting along to mean how are you when you meet somebody and want to know how they are. But I'd use it with people I already know, not with people I met for the first time because I feel it somehow indicates that you are familiar with them, and it's very informal (but much less informal, of course, than the ones suggested above). Well, I hope you are all fine. Sun's shining outside.
    Enjoy your day,
    Annette

20. Mr. Multilingo New Member

Toronto
    Canada - English/Français
    LOL! Well, I'm a native English speaker from Canada, but I understood all of the words you gave; I'm also big into hip hop and that style of music. A common one in Toronto is "what a gwan" or "what's gwanin", which is a play on how someone from the Caribbean (mainly Trinidad or Jamaica) would say "what's going on?". People who don't know many West Indians or listen to their main styles of music (calypso/soca, reggae, etc.) probably wouldn't understand them, and I've confused many a person with these sayings and some of the others that Swift Precision listed.

Where a person is from can greatly affect which words they use, but so can the music or television they're into; you would probably hear "what's crackin" at a hip hop show than at a horse race (por ejemplo). And hip hop has done a fantastic job at spreading slang around the world, so that folks who don't even speak English use some of these terms...

Buena suerte a usted, Ariel; creo que tiene unas palabras nuevas para el vocabulario, no?

21. Ariel Junior Member

España
    he visto que mi pregunta ha hecho surgir un pequeño debate y me alegra que asi haya sido, tengo que agradecer que me hayan dado tantas opciones distintas pues en español en realidad no tenemos tantas o simplemente solemos usar siempre las mismas.

Gracias! thank you very much!

22. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

U.S.
    Sí, de acuerdo.

We're getting along quite well, thank you. The sun is shining, so make yours a good day too! :)

Joe