1. Buenas,

Para traducir la estructura al inglés "que te parece si" ¿qué tal estarían estos ejemplos?

- What about if we are going tomorrow instead of today? (¿Qué te parece si vamos mañana en vez de hoy?)

- What would you think to stay at home with me tonight? (¿Qué te parecería quedarte conmigo en casa esta noche?)

- What about if we leave it and go for a walk? (¿Qué te parece si lo dejamos y vamos a dar un paseo?)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Yo lo diría así:

What about going tomorrow instead of today?

What about (you) staying at home with me tonight?

What about leaving it as it is and going for a walk?

3. Teachertranslator Senior Member

English - Canada
    Rather than "What about if...", we'd say: "How about if ....". How about if we go tomorrow? How about if you stay home with me? How about if we leave and go for a walk?

4. How about leaving it and going for a walk?

¿Estaría bien así?

5. Teachertranslator Senior Member

English - Canada
    Or "How about if we leave it and go for a walk?" This sounds more native English.

6. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    I notice that many have changed the "What about" in the original question into a "How about"? If my Spanish is adequate this is the meaning you want.

"What about . . . ." means that you want to raise the issue for discussion, but don't have any specific conclusion in mind. It's a invitation for discussion. It's short for "What do you think about ...?"

"How about" is a polite and indirect way of saying "I want to."

There are also many opportunities to clean things up a bit. Others have offered good suggestions. Mine would be:

"How about we go tomorrow, instead of today." => The comma is optional; it indicates an afterthought. It and the rest of the sentence is optional. After all, you are not suggesting that we go both today and tomorrow. The "instead" is implied.

"How about staying home tonight, with me"

"How about we leave it for now, and go for a walk." => "we leave it" can mean that we abandon it; "for now" prevents this possible, it implies that we will get back to it.

Also, your Spanish inspires me to mention that you could also say:

"If you agree, let's ....." This is also polite. Somehow I think "how about ...." would be used informally with friends, and "If you agree, let's ..." with a dear, beloved spouse; it indicated that you care about her opinion.

"I have a good idea. Let's ...."

7. Mattsanchez Junior Member

English (United States, California)
    Varias posibilidades

¿Que te parece si lo dejamos y vamos a dar un paseo? (el inglés sería un poco más específico en este caso: ¿Dejar para siempre o por un rato? ¿El paseo en el lugar de dejarlo?)
    -How about dropping it and going for a walk?
    -What do you think about putting it aside and taking a walk.
    -Should we leave it and take a walk instead?

¿Que te parece si vamos mañana en vez de hoy?
    -How about going tomorrow, instead of today?
    -What do you think about leaving tomorrow and not today? (lenguaje normal)
    -How would you feel about leaving tomorrow, instead of today? (más cortés)
    -Do you think we should leave tomorrow, instead of today? (pregunta-sugerencia para mostrar indecisión)

¿Que te parecería quedarte conmigo en casa esta noche?:
    -What would you think about staying here with me tonight?
    -How would you like to stay here, at home, tonight?
    -Would you like to stay here at home, with me, tonight? (para dejar que la persona en cuestion conteste)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011