1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Qualities or traits?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by clandry, Jan 21, 2013.

1. clandry Junior Member

American English
    I am trying to decipher whether 'qualities' or 'traits' is more suitable.
    When referring to your skillsto knowledge, would it be more appropriate to refer to them as your qualities or traits.

For example, if I said: I have skills in basketball, baseball and football, and knowledge of tennis. These qualities/traits are very helpful.

Would it be better to say qualities or traits?

2. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I have a problem with both words. "Traits" especially, and maybe "qualities" also, make me think of genetic inheritance, not acquired skills.
    Or even if acquired, they refer more to what kind of person you are, rather than what you can do.

3. clandry Junior Member

American English
    Are words like features/attributes just as inappropriate?

I think "these attributes are very helpful" is pretty good.
    But:
    "These features are very helpful" doesn't sound right to me.

4. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    "Skills" would be the perfect word—if you hadn't already used it in the first sentence. What words could replace it there?

5. clandry Junior Member

American English
    But "skills" doesn't apply to the "Knowledge" of tennis part, does it?

6. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Here's a link to an online thesaurus, focused on "competency". See if anything there inspires you.

7. clandry Junior Member

American English
    Qualifications sounds good.

8. clandry Junior Member

American English
    Wait, are qualifications and qualities pretty much the same word?

9. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    To me, "qualities" are what kind of person you are, and "qualifictions" are qualities and acquired skills that make you suitable for a certain job.

10. Man_from_India Senior Member

Indian English
    I can say "skill" and "knowledge" are not same. Generally the one who is skillful has had knowledge in that respective arena. But you will find skillful people without any knowledge.
    For example -
    A mason can build a house. He is skillful and has minimum knowledge of measurement that is all he needs to construct a building apart from his skill. He don't have any knowledge of an engineer. On the other hand, even if an engineer has knowledge, he can't build a house in person.