1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Que la famosa reforma educativa es un disparate...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Bexmcr123, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Bexmcr123 Junior Member

UK - English
    Hola tod@s,

I am currently trying to translate this sentence
    Que la famosa reforma educativa es un disparate ya lo llevamos denunciando algunos desde hace tiempo ... however it is the QUE at the start of the sentence which completely throws me. The previous sentence before this is a question ¿Es que no podemos ver la realidad hasta que esté traducida en gráficos y estadísticas? (Unsure if that changes anything) -- (is it that we can not see reality until it is translated into graphics and statistics?)

'That famous educational reform is nonsense and we took some time denouncing it' is my attempt but obviously with the complete misinterpretation of QUE.

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated,

many thanks

Rebecca

2. Bexmcr123 Junior Member

UK - English
    I feel that by replacing the THAT with The it would make complete sense but of course I am unsure as to whether this is strictly correct...

3. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    You need to follow that 'that' with a 'the' and make it into a clause.

"That the xxx is yyy is something that some of us have been saying for some time."

syd

4. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    If we change the word order, (and paraphrase very slightly), I think you might see the function of "que" more clearly: Algunos llevamos tiempo denunciando que la famosa reforma educativa es un disparate = Some of us have been denouncing for a long time that the famous educational reform...
    (Syd beat me to it!)

5. Bexmcr123 Junior Member

UK - English
    Many thanks for this clarification. Can I therefore establish that 'Que' at the start of a sentence would generally entail the reordering of a sentence, or is there other possible translations?

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Not necessarily. Syd translated it very nicely leaving the "that" at the beginning.

7. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    There is no need to reorder the phrase (see my post #3).

You need to look at the rest of the sentence. It's very likely that there is some rhetorical reason for the ordering of the original.

syd