1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

que no se supone que para eso ... flojeriar

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Singinswtt11, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Singinswtt11

Singinswtt11 Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    English since birth, Spanish shortly thereafter
    Good morning foreros!

I'm having trouble translating the following sentence into English. Any help would be much appreciated!

El periodo pasado el senor X todas las manana se la paso juntando basura y limpiando mesas en la cafeteria a la hora del lonche, que no se supone que para eso se le esta pagando al encargado de limpieza que porcierto se le ve flojeriando mucho o tambien estamos gastando ese salario a lo tonto!

Last year Mr. X spent every morning picking up trash and cleaning the tables in the cafeteria during lunchtime, ...... paying the person in charge of cleaning who, by the way, is often seen lazing around, ....

Thanks in advance!!

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I read it as something like "and it isn't for that that the head of cleaning is being paid, who is certainly often seen lazing around a lot, or also that we're paying that salary foolishly."

3. lanueva Senior Member

Illinois
    English - USA
    ... and don't you suppose that that's what the head of cleaning is being paid to do, who, by the way, is often seen lazing around, and we're paying that salary foolishly, too!

(sounds a little awkward towards the end)

4. Singinswtt11

Singinswtt11 Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    English since birth, Spanish shortly thereafter
    Muchas gracias a los dos! Ahorita me di cuenta que el Sr X al que se refiere NO es el conserje sino el director de la escuela. Entonces quiere decir que el Sr X está haciendo lo que supuestamente debe hacer el conserje. Teniendo eso en cuenta, qué me recomiendan?

5. lanueva Senior Member

Illinois
    English - USA
    Honestly? I think you might want to split the sentence up. Maybe something like: ... and isn't that what the head of cleaning is being paid to do? We're sure paying that salary foolishly, since people just see him lazing around all the time!

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

That's what the custodian is supposed to be doing, but he slacks off so much that maybe it's silly of us to even be paying his salary.