Que por su dimensión (for/by)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by alaitz_82, Jan 24, 2013.

1. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    "Los equipos que por su dimensión lo permitan..."

"Machines that for/by (their) dimension alow it..."

"By", "for" or both? Is the use of "their" correct? Thank you.

2. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish [PR], English [US]
    I would say "Machines that by their dimensions would allow it..."

3. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    Personalmente, diría: "Machines that, because of/due to their dimensions, allow it..."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    A mi también me suena mejor, pero "for dimensions" tampoco me suena mal, estaría mal? Gracias.

5. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    I can't think of anything technically wrong with it, but it would not be clear to most Americans today.

6. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Ok!!! Thanks a lot! ;-)

7. Judica Senior Member

East Coast, US
    AE (US), Spanish (LatAm)
    Machines "that per" their dimensions ...

8. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Without further context, I prefer Turi's oroginal: 'Machiches which, because of their dimensions, allow it.'

'...for their dimensions...' would appear strange to most UK people. I think 'for' works better with people: 'The girls were admitted to the college for their intelligence, not for their looks.' Note the word order - it would be unnatural to put the 'for their intelligence...' after 'were'.

9. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Thanks!!!!!

10. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I would suggest "machines whose dimensions allow...
    A complete sentence would be helpful to see how this part of the sentence connects with the rest of the sentence.

11. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    But "whose" is used for people not things.

I'll try to give more context.

12. juan082937 Senior Member

español
    whose car is that?
    whose garden do you think looks the nicest?

13. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    The use of 'whose' related to an inanimate antecedent was good enough for Milton, Shakespeare and Wordsworth, so it's fine by me and no doubt by FromPA, otherwise she wouldn't have used it.

It's folk belief that 'whose' only relates to 'who' simply because the vowel sound is the same in both words. 'Whose' is the possessive case of both 'who' and 'which' and has been for several hundred years.

14. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    I thought I had to use "of which" when talking of things and "who" when talking of "people".

Now I'm confused. Is "of which" correct? Thank you.

15. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    "Machines whose size permits it..."
    In English, "dimensions" seems like a puffy word, unless there's a technical reason to avoid "size".

16. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Thanks!!!! But could I use "of which" or it sounds weird? Thank you so much.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  17. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    First you link me to all those artsy Englishmen of questionable sexual orientation, and then you refer to me as "she"? You're giving me a complex.

18. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    To your question, alaitz, it does sound weird to say "Machines of which the dimensions..." or "Machines of which the size..."
    We have the resource of "whose" in cases like this, and we don't have to go back to Shakespeare to justify its use with an inanimate possessor.
    Do a websearch for "an idea whose time has come", "a thing whose", or even "machine whose", and you'll get hundreds of thousands of hits.

19. Wandering JJ

England
    British English
    Please forgive me - it must be your monica ending in 'a'! Sorry.

20. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    "Because of" and "due to" are the best choices, but I still would like to ask if the use of "by" would be right in this context?
    ("by their dimensions") Thank you again.

21. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    This would be my preference too.

In those situations, it's the item owned rather than the owner that's inanimate, but inanimate owners are just fine too.

22. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I suppose when it's a question, the interrogative "whose" implies a person.
    In other words, if someone asks "Whose garden is that?", they expect the answer to be a person or persons.
    But with the relative "whose", the possessor can be nonhuman. The following sentences seem okay to me:
    "Today I looked at a house for sale whose garden was full of roses."
    "I don't want to buy a car whose engine is dripping oil."

23. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Thank you!

24. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    More context:

- "Los equipos que por su dimensión lo permitan, además del código de identificación, deberán llevar una etiqueta en la que conste la siguiente información:"

--> Machines that _______ their seize allow it, in addition to the identification code, will have to bring a label in which the following information is content:"

- "Aquellos equipos singulares que por sus características sean inconfundibles, podrán ser referenciados exclusivamente con la denominación asignada para ellos por la Empresa que los haya fabricado."

--> "Those particular machines that have unmistakable features could exclusively be called with the reference name that the company which manufactured gave it."

Better to use "Dimension" or "size"?. Thank you.

25. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    "Dimensions", in the plural, sometimes serves as a dignified synonym of "size".
    Maybe "Machines that, thanks to their size, allow it..."

26. alaitz_82 Senior Member

castellano
    Then "dimensions" in the plural works the same way than in Spanish.
    "Thanks to" is other option to use.

"Thanks to... Cenzontle!!! ;) :thumbsup: