1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Que sera, sera?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by chill46, Feb 19, 2008.

1. chill46 Banned

USA, English
    Mi amiga me dijo que esta frase esta escrita correctamente pero le dije que no creia que tuviese ella razon. Segun las reglas, he aprendido que la frase deberia ser "Sea lo que sea" "venga lo que venga--o sea, se debe utilizar el subjunct. Me pueden decir quien tiene razon? La oracion in english "Come whatever may come"

(Siento que no haya puesto los accentos, toma desasiado tiempo en hacer)

2. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    "Lo que será, será" is how you'd write it in Spanish, but it doesn't translate to "Come whatever may come"... It's usually written "What(ever) will be, will be."

Your translation is correct for "Sea lo que sea" but the true phrasing is a statement of fact, which invalidates the use of the subjunctive.

And it really doesn't take very long to learn the alt+# codes; certainly a small price to pay for being correct.

3. Benito81 Junior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Hello,

I would translate "comewhatever may come" for "venga lo que venga", "pase lo que pase" or "sea como sea".

The expression "¿Qué será, será?" is correct and means "What can it be?" or even "What will happen?", it is very famous beacuse of asong. As another example, if you receive a present, and wonder what can it be before opening it...

4. TennisGirl Junior Member

Chicago, IL
    United States (English)
    En actualidad, traduce a la frase común, "What will be, will be," y eso es correcto.

5. pedrotercero New Member

Spanish Latin American

This phrase means nothing in Spanish. According to the lyrics of the song, it is supposed to mean "whatever will be, will be". In that case, it should say "lo que será, será." I don´t think that the meaning of the song allows for the phrase to be used as a question (¿Qué será?) It speaks of the inevitability of future events: "whatever will be, will be."

6. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
  7. TravelinTom

TravelinTom Senior Member

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    English - Texan
    What about "qué será sería"? Wrong or just weird?

8. irland5 Senior Member

spain spanish
    Hola,
    ``Qué será sería´´ No la he escuchado nunca.

9. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Está mal igualmente en italiano (Debe de ser "Quello che sarà, sarà.")

The earliest version of the phrase, "Che sera sera", seems to be 16th century English aristocracy, who claimed it was Italian (but it could not have been because Italian grammar has never allowed such a thing).

10. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    A note on adding accents, Xqby, The easiest way to type with correct accents in Spanish is to use Spanish keyboard, an option available to anyone with a modern computer. I use Spanish keyboard all the time - to type in Spanish or English - and no special codes are needed. One need only learn some changes in the layout of the usual "qwerty" keyboard. Un saludo. :)