que tengas una buena tarde

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by regalsun, Feb 22, 2009.

1. regalsun Senior Member

London
    English UK
    Hola a todos,

I'm new in this particular forum (but not to the website). I have been studying spanish for a liitle over a year, mainly language structure, vocabluary and so on. Anyway, yesterday, an aquaintance of mine said to me after a brief conversation:

que tengas una buena tarde.

I didn't quite get the context of what she said initially, as I would of recognised something like: yo espero que tengas una buena tarde.

I got it in the end (she was wishing me a good afternoon), but my question is, is it normal in spanish to start a sentence with que, when you are wishing something on someone, or was she just using a short cut/slang instead of the full (yo) espero que .........?

Muchíssimas gracias.

R

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. manxo Senior Member

Pontevedra
    Galego y Castellano de España
    Yes, it's normal; expresions like que tengas un buen día, que te vaya bien, que te diviertas, are very usual.

3. aldewi Senior Member

Colombia - Spanish
    Yes. It's a short, and it is normal in informal.

Espero...
    Te deseo..
    ... que tengas una buena tarde.

4. regalsun Senior Member

London
    English UK
    Yo lo entiendo, ahora. Gracias.

5. Pinairun

Pinairun Senior Member

En el Diccionario (DPD):

La conjunción "que"
    2.9. Introduce oraciones independientes que expresan diversos matices, entre los que cabe destacar los siguientes:
    (...)
    c) Deseo: «¡Que te vaya bien, Doroteo!»

Saludos

6. ManPaisa

ManPaisa Senior Member

Here and there in a topsy-turvy world
    AmE (New England) / español (Colombia)
    The most literal English translation would be may you have a good afternoon, where may have is the equivalent of the subjunctive form tengas.

The construction sounds stilted in English, but is fine in Spanish in any kind of register.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  7. regalsun Senior Member

London
    English UK
    Gracias. :)