que tu ase / ¿qué tú haces?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by xtesorox, Mar 27, 2007.

1. xtesorox New Member

USA-English
    What would be an appropriate response for "Que tu ase," which was used as a greeting?

I looked up the word ase on wordreference and it said that ase was a conjugate of "to roast."

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. apuquipa Senior Member

orilla del Río de la Plata
    spanish, south america
    haces, I guess.

What are you doing? it seems to be, but in a strange way.

3. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Argentina
    castellano
    ¿Qué tú ase?:cross: = ¿Qué haces? = ¿Cómo te va?

Respuesta: Bien ¿y tú?

4. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    The phrase you have is misspelled, it should be ¿qué tú haces? or ¿qué haces?

What are you doing? What are you up to?

I've heard the first version in coastal areas, and it's some kind of greeting, somewhere around what are you up to?

Warm regards

ILT

5. xtesorox New Member

USA-English
    So basically it was a spelling error?

That is kind of weird. Thank you!

6. Filis Cañí Senior Member

The hills
    Triana, caló
    As you all know, verb endings in Spanish tell you who is doing the action (1st, 2nd and 3rd person), so "¿qué haces?" refers to the 2nd person and the pronoun "tú" would be unnecesary. Well, Cubans have a tendency to omit some final S sounds, so for many of them "¿qué haces?" and "¿qué hace?" sound exactly the same; so after centuries of confusion and misunderstandings they have acquired the habit of adding the pronoun "tú" to their verbs and say "¿qué tú haces?", which sounds like "¿qué tu ase?"

7. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    in English you could also say "what are you up to?" or also very common in Ireland would be "what's the craic?" NOTE: Craic is a word in the Irish language (gaeilge) meaning "fun" and we have brought it into common usage in English for use in "whats the craic?" (meaning what is new/going on/what are you doing/whats happening) or "it was great craic" (meaning we had a wonderful time, great fun)