quel dommage vs c'est dommage

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by redmanPH, Mar 1, 2011.

1. redmanPH Junior Member

English, Tagalog (Philippines)
    Y-a-til une différence entre eux?

2. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    the same as in eglish "what a pity!" vs "that's a pity" I presume

:)

3. indigofire1230 Junior Member

Canada
    English - Canada (CaE)
    Yes, that would be the difference, as far as I've been able to tell. "What a pity!/What a shame!" vs. "That's a pity/shame."

4. grosbach New Member

English
    There's little difference between the what a ... expressions and the that's a ... expressions. The former may suggest a more personal emotional reaction than the latter.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    welcome Grosbach :)

exactly! "quel dommage" is more emotional than "c'est dommage"
    (the "quel" gives this feeling)

6. grosbach New Member

English
    Very interesting that French and English make this distinction, emotionally involved versus emotionally detached, in the same way. That such distinctions exist shouldn't be surprising, since they derive from human nature, which is, by definition, universal among humans. But that two languages would express a distinction so similarly, i.e., that the analogous structures would be used in the same way to express the same meaning, suggests that the languages may have more in common, both syntactically and semantically, than we Francophones and Anglophones are accustomed to admitting.

7. broglet

broglet Senior Member

London
    English - England
    It's the difference between an exclamation and a statement

8. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

France
    Français
    This distinction is made grammatically possible by the use of exclamative adjectives, (what, quell(e)(s)), which exist in many indo-european languages.

9. saraguilera03 New Member

Castellano, España
    Bonjour,

Vous pouvez m´aider, s´il vous-plaît?

Si on est invité à aller à une fête et que l´on ne peut pas y aller, peut-on dire "quel dommage"? Ça me semble assez bizarre parce que j´ai toujours entendu "dommage" ou "c´est dommage". Est-ce que cette expression est peu utilisée de nos jours dans ce contexte?

Je vous remercie d´avance.

10. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Bonjour,

Oui, elle peut être utilisée.

11. AmaryllisBunny

AmaryllisBunny Senior Member

How about, "that's unfortunate" pour "c'est dommage" et "what a shame/pity" pour "quel dommage?"