1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

qu'elles rendent irréductibles et absolus des conflits

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by curlysquirrel, Apr 7, 2013.

1. curlysquirrel

curlysquirrel New Member

Melbourne
    Italian
    Hello,

I am translating an academic article on globalization and the way it affects cultures and religions, and I came across this sentence:

Quel rôle les religions peuvent-elles jouer par rapport à la mondialisation ? Ce rôle peut être ambigu, car les religions peuvent contribuer au pire ou au meilleur. Au pire quand elles servent d’instruments à des identités nationales en péril et qu’elles rendent ainsi irréductibles et absolus des conflits limités (nationalismes religieux).

My attempt:

What role can religions play in relation to globalization? This role can be ambiguous, because the contribution of religions can be for better or for worse. For worse when they are instruments for endangered national identities and which they render thus irreducible and absolute in limited conflicts (religious nationalisms).

My issue is with absolus in particular as I don't understand which noun it refers to - if it was identités or religions wouldn't it be absolues? Or am I missing something here?
    Many thanks for any advice!

~curlysquirrel

2. 1nto

1nto Junior Member

Well, here, "absolus" refers to the "endengered national identities".

Be careful, here, "absolus" means free. It means that those "endengered national identities" are free from the "limited conflicts"

3. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    It seems to me that "absolus" refers to "des conflits limités". Conflicts that would otherwise have been limited become absolute when they are associated with endangered national identities.

ETA: Sorry, this was worded wrong. What I meant to say was: when religions become associated with endangered national identities.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Xavier11222 Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    I second the first part of this.
    The whole sentence needs heavy revising but, for this segment - "[religions], when used by threatened national identities, turn limited conflicts into absolute and irreducible ones."

5. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    Good translation by Xavier.
    The second part of what I said above was meant as an attempt at explanation, not translation.

6. Mauricet Senior Member

near Grenoble
    French - France
    "Quand ... et que ..." means "When ... and (when) ...". No which for que here.

7. curlysquirrel

curlysquirrel New Member

Melbourne
    Italian
    Thank you everyone for your advice, now it is much clearer!

Revised translation:

What role can religions play in globalization? This role can be ambiguous, because religions can contribute for better or worse. For the worse when they become instruments for endangered national identities and they turn limited conflicts into irreducible and absolute ones (religious nationalisms).

I had completely missed the construction "quand...et que" - thanks for clarifying that, Mauricet.

~curlysquirrel