quelque chose d'autre vs. autre chose

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Vortmentsh, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Vortmentsh Member

Brooklyn, NY
    English (U.S.)
    I would like to know the difference between these two. Or are they completely equivalent?

Framed in another way, I have three possible meanings: "something different" "something else" and "another thing". Which of the French phrases would correspond to which of the English ones (including overlap/exclusivity)? Did I miss any English equivalents to either?

I have no context: I'm working on translations of single words/expressions. BTW, these were already mentioned in one thread, but the difference was never addressed.

Merci beaucoup...
  2. P22T33

P22T33 Senior Member

Cairo, Egypt
    Français - English
    Another thing = Une autre chose [= A single occurrence of one more entity]
    Ex.: You said: I want this. I'm sure you meant another thing.
    Ex.: Je suis sûr que tu voulais parler d'une autre chose.

Something else = Autre chose [= An occurrence that might be encountered differently depending on circumstances]
    Ex.: I won't order eggs again. I'll try something else.
    Ex.: Je vais commander autre chose.

Something different = Quelque chose de différent [= An occurrence that will be encountered differently depending on circumstances]
    Ex.: I love Chinese food. There's something different about it.
    Ex.: J'aime la cuisine chinoise. Ca a quelque chose de différent.

I hope I'm clear enough.
  3. Vortmentsh Member

Brooklyn, NY
    English (U.S.)
    Those were clear translations of the English expressions I mentioned, but what I actually need is a clarification on how the two French expressions are used, how they overlap and differ, and how they would be defined in English.

Merci tout de même