querelles des femmes

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by iigot2bme, Apr 17, 2005.

1. iigot2bme New Member

USA / English
    I need the English translation of the phrase "querelles des femmes."

I believe it means "the quarrel of women," I just want to know if that's correct?

Please email me at iigot2bme@cox.net.
    Thank you.

2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Bonjour iigot2bme,

I'll answer on the forum to help any other member needing to know :)

Yes, this translation is correct.

3. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    And thus "querelles des femmes" is often used to mean "women's issues".

4. SoupleCommeLeVent Senior Member

OK, so what does "quarrel of women" mean - is it a collective noun?

5. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Well, I'm not that sure about La Grive's comment... :(

Other one's ideas, please?

6. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    i have no clue of the context, so i don't know what that person means by 'the quarrel of women'. i doubt it's 'querelles des femmes' which to me doesn't make any sense in french because i don't know what it's about.

so i'm clueless. i'm not even sure it's about women issues. might be feminist fights. might be 'cat-fight', or bickering, for all i know.

?

7. iigot2bme New Member

USA / English
    querelles des femmes is a term that is used to refer to female scientisits during the Scientific Revolution in Europe about 1550-1700. I do not believe it was used to describe a movement (such as Women's Lib).

Women then were not given formal educations. They had a particular place in society and it was mainly to keep the house, raise the kids, cook, and submit to their husband. Many of these female scientists were aristocrats who were educated by their fathers and assisted their scientist husbands with their research. Rarely was a woman given credit for her scientific findings; her father or husband took the credit for it, which is why there is not much information on some female scientists during that time and possibly why they are referred to as querelles des femmes.

I'm writing an essay on it for school and just wanted to know what the translation was because it was never given in anything I read, and I'm happy to see that my translation was correct.

8. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    well, i'm happy to read your explanation ! thanks :):)