qu'est ce qu'il y a

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Liss, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Liss Junior Member

U.S.
    what does qu'est ce qu'il y a mean?
    thanks a bunch

2. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

A little more context would be helpful, since it can mean different things :

- Qu'est-ce qu'il y a dans la boite bleue ?*
    - What is there in the blue box ?
    - Qu'est-ce qu'il y a ? Pourquoi pleures-tu ?
    - What's the matter ? Why are you crying ?

* been watching Mulholland Drive, yesterday night.;)

3. Liss Junior Member

U.S.
    haha thank you very much! you've answered my question!

4. Yaya Senior Member

San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    Definitely need context. Even just by itself it can mean a bunch of different things..

For example, if some tough guy said "qu'est-ce qu'il y a?" (pronounced like "qu'est-ce qu'y a?) then a good English translation would be: "You got a problem?"

5. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    IMO:

* I agree that pronounced like "qu'est-ce qu'ya!" effectively, it would mean: "You got a problem?"

* However, pronounced like "qu'est-ce qu'il y a?" would rather mean: "what happens to you"

6. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france

no... in everyday speech, it sounds like 'keskya' and it's only the tone of voice determines what one means.

7. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    Maybe in everyday speech, it sounds like 'keskya'. However, if you modulate correctly, as we all should, it will sound like 'keskilya'.

But the main point I was making is that, IMO, with an exclamation tone it would probably mean "you have a problem?", while with an interrogation tone it would probably mean "what happens to you?".

Regards

8. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    my mistake rayb, i didn't pay enough attention to your punctuation, only to the pronunciation... so, 'tout est dans l'intonation', phew, this time, we agree to agree, for a change ! :)

9. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Instead, we would say: What's wrong (with you)?

I believe that we could also say: Qu'est-ce que tu as?

10. Joe Eid New Member

do you pronounce the ce in qu'est ce qu'il ya?