Question about Pronouns

Discussion in 'English Only' started by army1234, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. army1234 Junior Member

Hebrew
    Do we need to write pripositions before Pronouns?
    For example:I want to help them or I want to help to them
    ??
    Thank you

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    You need to know the pattern for each verb (or adjective). 'Help' takes a direct object, no preposition. This is true whether it's followed by a pronoun or a common noun:

:tick:I want to help my friends.
    :tick:I want to help them.
    :cross:I want to help to my friends.
    :cross:I want to help to them.

3. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    A preposition does not have to be written before a pronoun (except sometimes when there are two objects after a transitive verb).
    Examples:
    I want to help them.
    I want to explain the problem to them.
    I will give you the report tomorrow.
    I will give the report to you tomorrow.

4. army1234 Junior Member

Hebrew
    How I need to know how to use it?

5. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    You need to know the pattern for each verb (or adjective). When you learn the verb 'help', you have to learn that it takes an object. When you learn the verb 'give', you have to learn that it has two patterns: (1) give someone something, and (2) give something to someone. There is no general rule that covers all verbs. A good dictionary today should list the various patterns.

6. army1234 Junior Member

Hebrew
    I dont understand you/
    Can you explain more?

7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    army1234,

The posters above have given you the answers for the use of 'to' after help. As you have been told, you have to learn the rules for each verb individually. If you want to discuss another verb, you will have to start a new thread to ask about it. (Be sure to search for previous threads first. Many of the verbs have been discussed.)

We cannot give you a general rule, and discussions of grammar in general is outside the scope of this forum. If you want a list telling you which verbs do or don't take 'to' with the indirect object, there are websites that give that kind of information:
    Here is one:
    http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/verbs/double-object-verbs
    It's on the British Council website Learning English.

The Grammar Bank has another:
    http://www.grammarbank.com/double-object-verbs.html

You can find more by searching the Internet for { English double object verbs }.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.