quest'ultimo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by fran06, Jun 22, 2006.

1. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Can you please tell me if when Quest'ultimo is refered to a person it can still be transalted with the latter?

Thanks

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Yes you can, but can you give us the sentence to be sure.

3. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Of course (it is a bit long that's why I didn't write it before):

L’articolo, accompagnato da una foto della Signora XX con XX, descrive la qualità delle azioni portate avanti da quest’ultimo per la promozione del dialogo con il mondo arabo e conferma ancora una volta il riconoscimento pubblico espresso dalla Signora XX in occasione della sua visita alla Sede centrale della Fondazione Laboratorio Mediterraneo

The article, accompanied by a picture of XX with XX, describes the quality of the actions carried out by the latter for the promotion of the dialogue with the Arab world and confirms once again the appreciation publicly expressed by XX on the occasion of her visit to the Central Office of the Fondazione Laboratorio Mediterraneo.

4. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    The latter is fine.

5. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Thank you!

6. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    Ciao, amici. Ho incontrato questa costruzione leggendo una domanda nel compito. (Ma non vi preoccupate...non ci chiedo la risposta).

Per quali ragioni Giovanni Cecchetti, parlando del suo amico poeta Joseph Tusiani, afferma che sarebbe stato meglio per quest'ultimo non tornare al proprio paese?

La mia prova...

For what reasons does Giovanni Cecchetti, while speaking about his poet friend Joseph Tusiani, state that it would have been better for him (the latter) not to return to his home country.

7. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian

8. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    Grazie mille, Paul.

9. dsalvato

dsalvato Junior Member

Italian, Italy
    Salve,
    ho un dubbio sulla traduzione di "quest'ultimo". Avevo pensato a "the latter", ma se non ho capito male, si usa per indicare l'ultimo fra due. Io devo scrivere:

"The other three wires were extracted from tubes no.~3, 10 and 19; quest'ultimo ..."
    dove quest'ultimo è riferito al tubo 19.

Grazie
    D

10. JoeMama Junior Member

USA - English
    quest'ultimo essendo...
    with the last one being...

11. gaiaam

gaiaam Senior Member

Rome
    ITALIAN
    Io proverei semplicemente con "This one", ma aspetta i nativi

gaia

12. dsalvato

dsalvato Junior Member

Italian, Italy
    Grazie ad entrambi.

D

13. Karl!!!! Senior Member

Derby. England
    England/English
    Di solito è meglio riscriverlo: tubes 3, 10 and 19. Tube number 19...

Com hai detto, the latter dovrebb'essere usato per rifererire all'ultimo fra due, ma questa regola spesso viene dimenticata.

Potresti userei: the last of the three; this last one; this last-named.

14. dsalvato

dsalvato Junior Member

Italian, Italy
    Grazie
    D

15. phillyitalianstudent Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English, U.S.A.
    How do you translate this phrase in the following context?

CONTEXT:

La corrispondenza conservata in Archivio coinvolge molti esponenti di punta del mondo cattolico, piuttosto lontani dal sentire di Gemelli [i.e., rettore dell'Università Cattolica]. Quest'ultimo faceva in modo che persone generalmente collocate agli estremi opposti dello schieramento cattolico si ritrovassero nei momenti cruciali della storia del paese.

quest'ultimo = Gemelli?

ATTEMPTED TRANSLATION:

The latter [i.e., Gemelli?] done in a way that persons generally placed at opposite poles of the Catholic ranks are found in crucial moments in the history of the country.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or advice on this.

16. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

My attempt would be:

The actions of the latter ensured that persons normally found at opposite extremes of the Catholic ranks would {converge/meet/come together} at crucial moments of the country's history.

17. phillyitalianstudent Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English, U.S.A.
    That makes perfect sense in this context. Thank you!

18. Massimo Travaglio New Member

Italiano - Italia
    Hi, I'm new here... :)

I'd like to ask a question about the translation of the words "quest'ultimo" from Italian to English in cases as the following:
    Abbiamo illustrato questi risultati in figura 1. Quest'ultima mostra anche un confronto con risultati di altri ricercatori.

We illustrated these results in figure 1. Such figure also shows a comparison with other researchers' results.
    In the example I translated "quest'ultima" with "such figure", but is there a way to avoid repeating the word "figure"?

By the way, I know that "quest'ultimo" is translated with "the latter" when there is an opposition between two elements, the first of which is eventually identified by "the former", but I deliberately tried to figure out an example where such an opposition is not present.
    Indeed, in Italian "quest'ultimo" not always means "the second between two elements": it simply does mean "the last person/thing mentioned", where there may be just one other person/thing previously mentioned, or more than one, or no one!

Thank you in advance!

19. MStraf

MStraf Senior Member

Welcome to the club!

Unless you are talking about a diagram, I would use "picture" instead of "figure".

"Such picture" is fine, of course you can also use other forms, for example the simple:
    "The picture 1 compares our results with other studies"

Regarding former/latter, I am not sure what you are asking about, but they are definitevley used together to compare two elements.

20. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Hi Massimo, and welcome!:)

Interesting question that raises a variety of issues.

We've had discussions about "former" "latter" that you can look up with "search".

I think that your first example might be handed in two ways.
    The first would be to merge the sentences:
    The results are shown in Figure 1, which is a comparison to the results of other researchers.

Or you might keep it divided:
    The results are shown in Figure 1. This also demonstrates the comparison to other researchers' results.

But to address your other issues, I think in AE we would just simply use "this" or "that" or another simple reference to the prior idea.

But much of this is personal. I always try to write text as "short" as possible, since that is a requirement in my particular field.

Let's see what others think.

21. Massimo Travaglio New Member

Italiano - Italia
    Thank you for your hospitality :)

And yes, my question is actually about the use of "the latter": I wrote the example on purpose, to let you understand my doubt, but I don't need to translate it :p

As far as I can understand, native speakers may write just "this" or "that": also in Italian we can simply say "questo" instead of "quest'ultimo", but "quest'ultimo", among other things, helps the reader avoid confusion with the possible meaning "this thing" for "questo" (no problem, on the contrary, when "questo" is not masculine, singular).
    Well, I perceive the same ambiguity in English when using just "this" or "that", which can have the meaning of "it", while I want to refer, in the example, to the word "figure". Is such doubt justified?

And if so, are there any expressions like (now I'm inventing :p) "This last", or "This last one", or "The last one"...? (All are literal translations of "Quest'ultimo", which I've never found...)

Thanks again :) and please excuse my being so fussy :p