1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

quiere recoger en la parte que le compete

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Pichincha, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Pichincha New Member

Britain English
    Hi,
    I'm looking for help to translate the bold part of this quote into English:

La amenazadora difusión del SIDA lanza a todos un doble desafío, que también la Iglesia quiere recoger en la parte que le compete: me refiero a la prevención de la enfermedad y a la asistencia prestada a quienes han quedado afectados por ella.

My attempt is:

“The threatening spread of AIDS is a double challenge for all of us, the church must also play its part: I refer to the prevention of the disease and the support offered to those who have been infected”.

any suggestions welcome
    thanks very much

2. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    My attempt is:“The threatening spread of AIDS is a double challenge for all of us, that the Church also wants to pick up by the portion that matters to it: I am referring to the prevention of the disease and the support offered to those who have been affected by it”.

patin

3. Achell Junior Member

Canada
    Español (Argentina)
    La traducción es válida aunque creo que no tiene idéntico significado
    Aunque mi inglés no es muy bueno, yo lo traduciría así:

"the Church also wants to take part where It concerns"
    Es sólo una sugerencia

4. Sonn3883 Senior Member

United States of America, English
    What if you were to try the following:

"The church also wants to take part in the issues incumbent on the religious sector, namely disease prevention and provision of support for those affected by the disease."

I'm not sure it's exact, but it's at least another try. I hope it helps!

5. Pichincha New Member

Britain English
    Thanks very much everyone for your help. I just sent if off using Sonn3883's suggestion.