Quiero comer en un restaurante que sea sano.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Odin043, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Odin043 Junior Member

USA, English
    Hello. I'm trying to say that I want to eat in a restaurant that is healthy.

Quiero comer en un restaurante que sea sano.

My concern is that, the meaning will be confused with what is healthy. Does my sentence imply that the food should be healthy, or does it state that the restaurant is in good condition?

2. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hi,

You're right about your concern. I would rather say:

"Quiero comer en un restaurante que sirva comida sana" or maybe "... de comida sana".

Cheers.

3. greekeulogy

greekeulogy Junior Member

Ithaca, New York
    USA - English
    Wouldn't this make more sense?

Quiero comer en un restaurante que sirva comida saludable? or is that the wrong word to use?

4. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Sano and saludable are synonyms here :)

For me, the original sentence without the word "comida" is also perfectly understandable, "sano" meaning "seguro" or "sin riesgo".

5. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    You're absolutely right, it's also possible.

In my opinion, "comida saludable" is a little bit more formal than "comida sana".

Greetings.

6. lercarafridi Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    I want to eat in a restaurant that is healthy.

quiero comer en un buen restaurante opposing quiero comer en McDonalds/Burger King, etc (no offence meant):)

7. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hi,

Well, although a "buen restaurante" obviously serves healthy food, in my opinion it does not have quite the same meaning, to me it would be a good restaurant, a fancy restaurant, while a healthy restaurant does not necessarily have many stars in the Michelin Guide. But, I don't know, maybe in Spain it's different :).

Greetings.

8. lercarafridi Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    Agreed Horu. It seems to me that the psycho about junk food in certain countries leads most would-be eaters to make a difference between fast food places and the rest of eateries. Nevertheless, by saying “I want to eat in a restaurant that is healthy” the speaker is clearly declining the idea of stepping into one of the former.

return greetings

;)