1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

quiero conocer la ciudad

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cecilio, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Cecilio

Cecilio Senior Member

Valencia, Spain
    Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
    Hello.

The Sp. verb "conocer" has a series of meanings which are not too easy to translateinto English, like "quiero conocer la ciudad", or "el país". Is it OK to say "I want to know the city?"

2. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    Creo qve la tradvcción está bien...avnqve le falta algo...

3. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    I want to get to know the city.

4. Cracker Jack Senior Member

Conocer = to get acquainted with a person
    = to familiarize oneself about a place or thing.

In your statement the best translation would be "I want to get familiarized with the city.

5. buddingtranslator

buddingtranslator Senior Member

Northamptonshire
    English, England
    Aurilla is correct. The best translation would be: "I want to get to know the city."

BT

6. Cecilio

Cecilio Senior Member

Valencia, Spain
    Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
    Thanks everybody. One more question: Is it also normal to say something like "I want to get to know you better", when talking about people?

7. Cracker Jack Senior Member

Of course it is. It is very usually said after having been introduced to someone or if you are keenly interested in the person you have just been introduced to. It's like saying in Spanish "Quiero concocerte más."

8. gaditano Banned

usa english
    for a city ...you can say "i want to see the city"

9. GiggLiden

GiggLiden Senior Member

US
    You can say it ... but it does NOT have the same sense as "getting to KNOW" a city.

A visitor who comes to NY for a day, might want to see the city. A quick oversight brush with it, a fast review of SOME of its highlights.

But to become familiar with NYC (get to KNOW it), you had best plan to be here for a month or two.

:) :) :)

10. Fargok Junior Member

Español, México
    En español, cuando hablas de "Conocer la ciudad", te refieres a "to see the city", como un turista; si lo que quieres decir es "to get to known the city" es más común escuchar "familiarizarse con"; yo creo que quién inició el tema se refería a la primera forma: conocer como un turista.

11. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    If that´s the case, what if anything would "Quiero ver la ciudad" mean to a spanish speaker? "Mañana vuelo a Granada y ahí quiero quedarme un par de días para ver la ciudad ..."