quiero presentarlo a mis padres

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by DaviD-is-Cute, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DaviD-is-Cute

DaviD-is-Cute Senior Member

Castellano
    Hi, how can I say in Spanish using usted(male): I want to introduce you to my parents,(Quiero presentarIo a mis padres)
    I want to introduce my parents to you.(Quiero presentarle mis padres)There is a difference in these 2 sentences.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi,
    Sorry, DaviD, I can't understand too clearly your question. Are you a Spanish-speaker asking how to say that in Spanish?

Preguntas por la frases escritas ¿en español o en inglés?

La palabra para presentar personas en inglés es "introduce" (<—dale clic).

Saludos,
    ;)

3. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I want to present you to my parents,(Quiero presentarlo a mis papas) Correct

I want to present you my parents.(Quiero presentarle mis papas) Incorrect

In your second sentence, you are using "you" as an indirect object, using the construction verb + IO + DO, but this construction only works with certain verbs, and it just doesn't sound natural with the verb "present." I don't know why.

By the way, I would never use the verb "present" in this way. It sounds very formal, like something that occurs in a royal court. I would use the verb "introduce."

4. DaviD-is-Cute

DaviD-is-Cute Senior Member

Castellano
    For the second ones I want to say something like- I want to introduce you my parents/ I want to introduce my parents to you. (I want you to see them.)

Quiero presententarle mis papas?> I want to introduce my parents to you?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English

6. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Ambas frases son correctas.
    Son un poco formales. Se puede decir también: I want you you meet my parents./I want my parents to meet you.

7. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hola:
    No había escuchado que se usara "to present" en inglés así, pero resulta que sí (present, acepción 5).

DaviD, mira que la fórmula es "introduce/present somebody to somebody," y con el "to" dices ante quién. Entonces, si quieres presentar los padres, le dices a tu interlocutor: «I want to introduce my parents to you».

Ya que dices que quieres mantener una atmósfera formal (como al utilizar "usted"), podrías quedarte con "present/introduce." La sugerencia de Aztlaniano es muy buena en contextos tanto formales como informales.

Saludos,
    ;)

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

The OP lists his native language as Spanish but is asking how to say it in Spanish.