... réalisées par les ménages, tous intermédiares confondus, ...

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by CJoeG, Apr 3, 2006.

1. CJoeG New Member

Here is the complete sentence - "Le nombre de transactions réalisées par les ménages, tous intermédiares confondus, a progressé de 3.1ntre 2004 et 2005."

I don't understand ... "realisees par les menages, tous intermediaires confondus," .... My attempts to translate this part of the sentence produces nothing sensible!

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

2. mickaël

mickaël Senior Member

Bonjour,

"Le nombre de transactions réalisées par les ménages, tous intermédiares confondus, a progressé de 3.1% entre 2004 et 2005."

un ménage = one or severals persons living in a same house.
    les intermédiares = here, the differents persons who buy the products before the consumer buy it (like the wholesaler, the shop...)

I think, you can translate it by :
    "carried out by the households, taking all intermediates together."

3. CJoeG New Member

Merci.

Je ne comprends pas "confondus".

WordReference.com tells me that it means confuse, etc. and then finally merge. I guess that I should have understood it to mean merged, blended? If so, would you help me to understand?

Perhaps I should understand that it is a reflexive verb, but I haven't studied them yet, and after further research into the subject it still does'n make sense?

Thank you,

Joe